PDA

View Full Version : one more question

aurelio alarcon
10-29-2003, 2:56 AM
I am using regular plain A/C plywood and am going to edge with oak and would like to get some consistencey in the final product, should I stain both the oak and the plywood to achieve this or just the plywood? Thank you for all your help, aurelio

ps: In additon to the stain, what would be your advice as a top coat? Tung oil? Polyurethain? Or what?

What I am making is a small TV Stand. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a hold of some Oak laminate plywood, so I went with the best standard ply that was available. I am hoping that the stain will be consistent throughout the stand. I am willing to accept any advice at this time. I am not very familiar with applying finishes. I am hoping to apply the finish some time later today or tomorrow. Again, thanks for the advice!

Todd Burch
10-29-2003, 8:08 AM
Hi Aurelio.

Realize that pine and oak accept stain differently. With oak, the pigments collect in the pores and make them dark. With pine, the pigments collect in the earlywood (the lighter colored areas of the grain) and make it all dark, in effect "reversing" the grain.

You didn't give us your application of what you are making. Also, for a top coat, without knowing the application or your finish requirements while the end result is in-use, it's difficult to make a recommendation.

Todd.