PDA

View Full Version : How do you cut a preformed countertop?

Chris Johnson
11-13-2006, 7:32 PM
I need to cut a countertop to width and am baffled as to the best mothod. It should be cut from the underside I would assume. I am curious how one would go about cutting the top then making the transition to the back splash. Pictures would be awesome!!

Chris

Ben Grunow
11-13-2006, 8:35 PM
I have always cut the 2' section from below as close to the line as I dare given the saw and blade and state of mind at the moment. Then cut the backsplash a tad long (also from the back) and beltsand the whole thing to fit. Takes a while but you only get one shot and they arent free.

Luciano Burtini
11-13-2006, 9:03 PM
Wrestled with this myself just the other day. I decided to cut it on the table saw with SWMBO on the long end. We took about 8" off of an 8' countertop using nothing more than a clean Freud combination blade. The blade, set at max height, would not quite cut through the backsplash. No problem, a Sandvik hardpoint handsaw took care of the couple of inches of backsplash in minutes. Stay to the outside of the line and then clean it up with a belt sander. The main cut was flawless.

One word of caution - DO NOT backup the countertop through the blade at any point or it will chip for sure. Go slow and the cut will be flawless.

It was a little scary, but worked out very well. Good Luck.

Steve Clardy
11-13-2006, 9:20 PM
Any skilsaw with a guide board clamped in place will work.
Cut it upside down.
Backsplash first. Then then main counter area.