PDA

View Full Version : First table

Lawrence See
10-29-2003, 1:53 AM
Enough lurking. After spending months absorbing knowledge and confidence from everyone here, I built a quilting table for LOML. She is a bit more of a quilter than I am a woodworker, but we designed it for her needs.

It's a 72 x 32" utilitarian piece made of 1" birch ply edged with 3/4" red oak. The finish is three coats of Watco Danish oil. The legs, top and trestle rail assemble with knock-down bolts to gain some mobility and storeability.

Looking at the finished results, I think the trestle rail is a bit too wide; however, the table is really rigid.

Thanks for looking. Comments are welcome.

Regards, Larry in Goldrush country.

Doug Jones
10-29-2003, 4:45 AM
Another peice of fine quality work from a "Creeker". I know it may sound repetative but, that is some fine work. And I think the trestle rail looks good as is. I'm no expert, I just know what I like and I like your table. The mrs. will use it proundly.

Great job, Doug

Tony Falotico
10-29-2003, 6:13 AM
It's a 72 x 32" utilitarian piece

If that's what you call "utilitarian" grade I'd sure like to see some of your finer work!! Great looking table, well proportioned and very nicely built. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. The creek's a great place to be, jump in more often. Tony

Todd Burch
10-29-2003, 7:57 AM
HEY! I'm already started making one of those for the Mrs.! She told me my deadline was Thanksgiving. (Should make it...)

Great looking table. That will be a nice work surface. Todd.

Lloyd Robins
10-29-2003, 9:20 AM
Very nice table. I have been thinking of building one like it, except that it would go in the dining room. We have been discussing chairs that would look good with it. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Ed Marks
10-29-2003, 9:32 AM
Hi Lawrence,

My quilter saw the table and then read that it could be taken apart and stored. The next words were something like "so when are you going to start?". Great looking table. I like the "utilitarian" description. That's what a table like this should be.

Again, nice looking work. I bet there will be some good stuff coming in the future.

Ed

Von Bickley
10-29-2003, 10:39 AM
Lawrence,

Great looking table. I'm sure the table will see many years of use.
Thanks for sharing the picture with us and "Welcome to the Creek".

Matt Bridges
10-29-2003, 10:06 PM
That looks great and as long as your wife likes it and it's serves it's purpose, those are the important things :)

Matt

Lars Thomas
10-29-2003, 10:26 PM
Good looking project - probably the first of many. Lars