PDA

View Full Version : You Will Think I Am Nuts

James Mittlefehldt
11-13-2006, 5:41 PM
I accomplished something yesterday, something I have been mulling over for some time, and finally after watching a thread last week on Neander Resawing, I decided to try one more time to resaw with, ...............wait for it.................................a panel saw, that's right a panel saw.

The salient facts are
a) I don't own or have easy access to a decent bandsaw,

b) this is likely to be the only time I will have to do this, ...maybe.

c) finding hard wood in thinner configurations is not easy, at least around here unless you want to use a 4/4 piece and plane it down and my Scottish ancestory rebells at that.

I tried this before and found that my saw seemed to go cross country instead of where I wanted it to. So after thinking about this for some time, over a year actually, I decided to try it again with a sacrificial piece of White Ash. It was roughly 15 inches long and 4 wide.

Having steeled my courage to the sticking point I used a wheeled marking gauge to mark the line aroud the outside edge, and then set it into my end vice, (veritas twin screw vice that traverses the end of my bench) at an angle. I notched out the corners with a back saw (12 inch R. H. Smith filed rip) and then tryed a couple of saws to see what, if any worked best.

Saw number one ( Shurley & Dietrich 26" 4 ppi) I discarded immediatly without even putting it to the wood, as it was course and has an agressive set.

Saw number two (Disston D-8 two handed handle 26") did not do bad but seemed inclined to wander.

Saw number three (Sandvik 7 ppi 24" seven or eight years old) was just the ticket.

I started in ernest now and decided that having the piece straight up and down was the better way for control, and also figured out part way down that if I switched sides every two inches or so I could control the cut better, not really sure why but it worked. When I finished while there was some deviation in terms of the line it was for the most part straight.

So encouraged was I by this that I got one of the pieces I wanted resawed and had at it. In this case it was a 27 iinch by roughly five inch wide hunk of air dried walnut, 7/8 ths thick.

Using what I had figured out on the sacrificial AshI went at it with a will. I neglected to time it though it was not too long. I used the back saw to outline the cut at the corners, sawing all the way across the top, and then with my trusty Sandvik in hand, began. I alternated roughly every 1.5 inches side to side, and managed to stay pretty much on the line. When I was about 2/3 of the way through I bunged a wedge into the cut end turned it around and again defined the line with a back saw, and went at it once more.

I eventually reached the point where the one board became two nicely book matched I might add, and voila one became two.

So kids you see it does work and it can be done. I won't kid you though I did perspire somewhat, and my workshop is 50 degrees F. It was hard work no doubt, but it was not as hard as I imagined, and as I say I have a limited number of applications for this sort of wood so it isn't as if I will be doing this regularily.

I only have ten or twelve more to cut then I have to plane them and then I can actually start on the project.

I would aslo add that it would work better if you have come to that point that the old guys always talked about, ie that you do not force your saw merely guide it, albiet firmly, and the sawing becomes easier.

John Schreiber
11-13-2006, 6:13 PM
Nice work. The more you put of your self into the job, the more you will like the result. Re-sawing by hand is one of those.

I'll have to try your trick of alternating sides every once in a while. My problem is with my Japanese saws, they go straight as can be, unless they start to turn, then I can't seem to do anything about it.

Hans Braul
11-13-2006, 6:20 PM
No, I don't think you're nuts. I think you did exactly what was reasonable under the circumstances. Given a choice between spending a few hours resawing a few boards or going out and buying a bandsaw with money I don't have for a space I don't have, I'd do exactly what you did. Good job!

Hans

Andrew Homan
11-13-2006, 8:05 PM
James,
Very cool! My next question about this process is: How long after resawing does one have to wait for the boards to come to equilibrium of moisture content (before using them to make drawers, for instance)?
-Andy

James Mittlefehldt
11-14-2006, 8:11 AM
James,
Very cool! My next question about this process is: How long after resawing does one have to wait for the boards to come to equilibrium of moisture content (before using them to make drawers, for instance)?
-Andy

I am not sure in general, however in this particular case that won't be an issue as the boards have been in my workshop both here and the previous place I lived for nigh into four years, they are as aclimated as they are ever going to be I suspect.

I have never gotten on well with Japanese saws and frankly I doubt I could pull this off with one, unless maybe it was one of those two sided thingys that cut both rip and crosscut.

Chuck Stanford
11-14-2006, 12:23 PM
Nothing succeeds like success.

I have a Sandvik panel saw, probably about the same age as yours, black Teflon coating. I use the living hell out of this saw.

Ken Bryant
11-14-2006, 1:11 PM
I once tried resawing with one of those two-sided thingies (ryoba). The problem is, the minute the cut is deep enough to require the blade on the opposite side (the crosscut blade) to pass through the cut, the set on its teeth slows things down enormously.

Andrew Homan
11-14-2006, 1:21 PM
The problem is, the minute the cut is deep enough to require the blade on the opposite side (the crosscut blade) to pass through the cut, the set on its teeth slows things down enormously.

That might depend on the set of the particular saw and perhaps the straightness of the kerf; I use mine all the time and have never had that problem.
-Andy

Jerry Palmer
11-14-2006, 3:50 PM
A trick to sawing straight, for future reference, is to get more saw into the kerf, i.e. get a lower angle on the saw.

Sounds like you had fun. :)

Jerry Thompson
03-02-2007, 9:25 AM
I have Googled the saw you described and have found nothing. I am interested in getting one. Who sells them?

James Mittlefehldt
03-02-2007, 10:23 AM
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&cat=1&p=42884

That should get you there I hope, not much when it comes to this technology stuff, but hopefully that helps.

The ryoba saw is showm under traditional Japanese saws, hopefully on the page I linked.

Have not done anymore than what I posted above owing to the fact my shop was not warm enough to work in much of the time, and my new stable employment requests six days a week since October, which leaves little time for anything else, and the fact that I started and have been working intermitantly on a dove tailed blanket box for a friend of my wifes.

The reason I tryed the exercise in the first place was to get a bunch of suitable wood to attempt to build a walnut machinest's style chest.

Pam Niedermayer
03-02-2007, 3:43 PM

I have never gotten on well with Japanese saws and frankly I doubt I could pull this off with one, unless maybe it was one of those two sided thingys that cut both rip and crosscut.

The ryoba is precisely the wrong saw to use for ripping longish boards since when the crosscut teeth, which have more set than the rip, enter the cut they tend to cause deviation from the line you'd like to cut. I use one of several kataba, specifically a tatebiki, for this job.

Pam

James Mittlefehldt
03-03-2007, 12:49 AM
The ryoba is precisely the wrong saw to use for ripping longish boards since when the crosscut teeth, which have more set than the rip, enter the cut they tend to cause deviation from the line you'd like to cut. I use one of several kataba, specifically a tatebiki, for this job.

Pam

Yes Ken pointed that very thing out above, and aAndrew said he did it with a Ryoba and had no problem, with the set interfering, perhaps the set on his is less severe.

By the way what is Kataba saw, or a tatebiki come to that, it's all Greek to me metaphorically speaking.

Pam Niedermayer
03-03-2007, 5:45 PM
Kataba are single sided saws. You can see some at Hida (http://www.hidatool.com/woodpage/saws/rip%20cross.html).

Pam

James Mittlefehldt
03-04-2007, 2:57 AM
Kataba are single sided saws. You can see some at Hida (http://www.hidatool.com/woodpage/saws/rip%20cross.html).

Pam

Pricey little devils aren't they.

Andrew Homan
03-04-2007, 8:38 AM
Pricey little devils aren't they.

Hi James,
Check out Japanwoodworker, they stock more entry-level saws there.
-Andy

Randy Acton
03-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Have never tried hand resawing, seems like it could be a fun thing to do to add to the bag of tricks.

When resawing samller boards (3'-4' in length and less than 6" in width), I almost exclusively use the table saw. And for wider boards I'll use a combination of the table and band saws.

The saw kerf is certainly greater on the table saw but there is usually less clean up afterward.

Pass your board thru the table twice. Take half the board width in one pass and then flip the board to finish. For wider boards, the table saw won't get all the way thru, so I use the same technique and then run it through the band saw to finish.

Mike K Wenzloff
03-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Just a few observations.

Resawing doesn't really become work until one gets thicker than 8/4 stock. For stock thicker than 8/4, a frame saw is faster than a handsaw.

For stock when using a handsaw, using a saw with an appropriate number of teeth for the wood and its thickness is most efficient. I wouldn't use a 7 or 8 ppi rip handsaw to saw 8/4 or thicker stock. 4-5 works well. For thinner 4/4 stock, 5-6 is great. For stock yet thinner, 7 and up is called for. For any of them, a sharp saw is necessary.

For removing an 1" or less wood off the edge of a board it's faster to waste the wood to a chalk line using a scrub plane or a drawknife followed with a try plane or jointer to the line.

Any powered means is faster than by hand...but then this is a hand tool forum <g>. As to powered means, I would say that using a bandsaw alone is faster than a combination of TS/BS. If using the BS, just cut a tad off the line and then shoot the edge using a handplane.

Take care, Mike

James Mittlefehldt
03-04-2007, 3:49 PM
The stock in question was 4/4 actually fairly fat 4/4. The Sandvik Rip saw was the one that seemed the most effective for the job, and it won the contract so to speak.

The Shurley & Dietrich has a fairly agressive set, and does not do well in hardwood, but does a fantastic job in softer woods, and the Diston D-8 with the two handed handle did not seem to track well, possibly, well more than likely, due to my technique or lack thereof, though I have used it to rip saw long grain as opposed to resawing and it worked fine there, so each of my rip saws has a designated purpose which all excell at.

The total investment would be less than one hundred dollars for the three, and I bought the Sandvik new.

It makes sense to me now that the old cabinet makers would have more than one rip or crosscut saw unless of course they worked in only one kind of wood. The saw tills in old tool boxes would seem to bear that out. I should add to that in my shop a table saw or band saw is not an option as I don't have them.

Also thanks for all the replys.

Andrew Homan
03-04-2007, 7:37 PM
Resawing doesn't really become work until one gets thicker than 8/4 stock. For stock thicker than 8/4, a frame saw is faster than a handsaw.

Hey Mike,
I'm not sure whether I'm totally misreading your post. When you talk about stock thickness, this effects what I would have called "ripping" rather than "resawing," unless ripping a board's length is sometimes called "resawing"? I would think that the amount of 'hard work' involved in re-sawing relates to the width of the board, the length of the resaw, and of course any specific properties of the wood being sawn. Or did I totally misunderstand what people are talking about here???
-Andy,
who covets the resawing handsaw that you made for Wiley...

Mike K Wenzloff
03-04-2007, 9:22 PM
Yeah, I use them fairly interchangeably. It's a bad habit I suppose. For instance, if one performs a rip cut on a 4x4 or 6x6...what is it? <g>.

Resaw simply means to cut again--in the sense of sawing a piece of already processed timber, planks, cants or balks. Rip, on the other hand, is specifically defined as sawing with the grain.

There's a bit of a funny story about the saw I made Wiley. One day.

Take care, Mike