PDA

View Full Version : black Friday at Harborfreight

John Gregory
11-13-2006, 4:43 PM
Would this compressor (http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/black-friday-1305-CentralPneumatic4hp10galloncompressor.html)work for sprayers, or sanders?

120V, 4HP (peak), 3HP (rated,) 3400 RPM, Air delivery: 4.5 SCFM @ 115 PSI; 5.6 SCFM @ 90PSI; 6.25 SCFM @ 70 PSI; 7.2 SCFM @ 40 PSI; Auto shutoff @ 115 PSI; Restart @ 85 PSI

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving. $120 seems like a good price

Jim Becker
11-13-2006, 4:52 PM
Not likely for sanders and minimal for spray guns, depending on their requirements. Sanders need "big air". Even my 60 gallon IR isn't suitable for most of them! For an HPLV conversion gun, it will likely work, but will be running constantly to keep up--that was the case with my old compressor that had a 20 gallon tank. Be sure to use extra moisture/water filtration...

CPeter James
11-13-2006, 6:38 PM
In reality that is probably a 1 or 1 1/2 hp motor. Check the amps and volts. Most of these are very overrated. There ought to be a law against such lieing to the public, but buyer beware.

CPeter

Bryan Rocker
11-14-2006, 9:40 PM
I have found this to be difficult sometimes with HF tools. I always look for the amps for 110V stuff. Its amazing how many low amp motors are professed to be very strong and outright wrong HP ratings......

Charlie Plesums
11-14-2006, 10:24 PM
If it runs on an ordinary 120 volt circuit, it is likely to be 1.5 honest hp or less, as CPeter said. I have such a compressor with a 13 gallon tank. The larger tank lets you take more air than then compressor puts out.... for short periods, and then rest while the compressor catches up. My compressor is barely adequate for a PC conversion gun, and I would bet lesser guns will use more air.

Personally I would look for a better solution... if you are constrained to 120 volts, then I would look for a bigger tank.

Don Selke
11-14-2006, 11:24 PM
Hi John:

I purchased the same compressor 3 months ago when my nail gun compressor went out. I only use it for my nail guns, brad nailers and that's it. I would not purchase it for HVLP conversion guns or sanders, it will not keep up with the tool.

Good Luck:
DS

CPeter James
11-15-2006, 4:28 PM
I was at a show last weekend and Senco had the sweetest little compressor & tank unit I have ever seen. Only about .4cfm, but so quite you could hardly hear it (no kidding). Very light and easy to handle. We were running a full sized full round head framing nailer with it and unless you were doing sheet goods flooring it would keep up. They were selling like hot cakes at $125!!!! or $175 with a brad nailer and hose kit!!!.

http://www.senco.com/con_rem/ViewTool.aspx?toolid=175

CPeter
CPeter

Jim Bell
11-15-2006, 5:26 PM
I bought the little Senco compressor when they first came out just because it was so quiet. It has served me well and still running strong.
Jim