PDA

View Full Version : mini-routers

Frank Fusco
11-13-2006, 12:44 PM
re: Mini-routers a/k/a spiral cutters and other unprintable terms.
My basic question is: What are they good for? Other than cutting openings in drywall I have yet to be able to use mine for it's originally intended purpose(s). I have a selection of small bits but haven't had success with them. The spiral cutters simply won't cut. Maybe they cut drywall but won't handle wood or plastics. One person on another list suggested I pack mine away and one of my great-grandchildren can sell it as an antique many years from now.
Ideas?

John Towns
11-13-2006, 5:12 PM
I have used mine (Roto) to cut wood, but that was just to see if it could...it can but why would you if you have a saw.

But...

This past week, I used it with the tile cutter bit, to cut holes in the ceramic tiles I put up around the tub. Specifically, holes for the faucet, spout, and also for cutouts for the towel bar, soap dish and corner shelf. Worked rather well for my purpose. It cut the tiles well without breaking any tiles. I had to go rather slow...blade heats up fast.
I used my little dremel with a small router bit for a rather small project and it worked ok...just a little unstable for my liking, but it is fine for what it is.

John

Matt Lillie
11-13-2006, 5:19 PM
I use mine to cut out woofer holes in MDF with a jig I made. I also use it cut bolts and stuff with the cutoff wheel attachment.

Frank Fusco
11-14-2006, 10:40 AM
I get the impression that for woodworking they have little to no use.
Woofer holes? :eek: That's good.....I think. :confused: Are they related to doggie doors?

Matt Day
11-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Woofer is a term used for describing a speaker.

Ted Miller
11-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Frank, Just for fun I use my mini for dados a few times and of course I have to use a jig since these little guys have so much torque, its tough to cut in a straight line, I also use it on my dovetail jig just see how the it would come out, not good, and I cleaned up a few mortises with it and yea, drywall its a must...

Randal Stevenson
11-14-2006, 3:03 PM
I have one of the original recalled roto's that I picked up for $10. It needed a part, and I called them and they sent me a rebuilt one (the recall) and I mailed mine back in. Been used already for some drywall (another two projects coming up, family and extended family). I was thinking about using it soon to cut some 1/8" dado's in some boards. A friend recommended getting a roundover bit, to use it as a laminate trimmer (future project). The thing that I missed out on, was a deal on the cutoff wheel a while back, needed that in an area I had no compressed air.
Worth it for what I paid. Not sure if I would pay full retail.

Corey Hallagan
11-14-2006, 7:32 PM
I get the impression that for woodworking they have little to no use.

I take it you mean a Roto Zip vs. a Dremel Moto Tool. I like a full blow Dremel that I have. I use it on a mini router base and have used it to cut out scenes in the back of a shelves, decorative wood storage boxes, grinding & making decorative signs I use it to hollow out back grounds with etc.

Corey

Frank Fusco
11-15-2006, 9:37 AM
I take it you mean a Roto Zip vs. a Dremel Moto Tool. I like a full blow Dremel that I have. I use it on a mini router base and have used it to cut out scenes in the back of a shelves, decorative wood storage boxes, grinding & making decorative signs I use it to hollow out back grounds with etc.

Corey

Right, the Roto Zip type that are used for cutting out openings in drywall. About all they are good for, it seems.