PDA

View Full Version : first jointer

ken brueggestrass
11-13-2006, 12:32 PM
Greetings lads. I can’t tell you how many hours I sat back and read the various posts on this site. You all should be proud of the meaningful content contained within. Like many before me, I was reaching the point where a jointer was within my budget and had a need to supports the purchase of one. I had a lead on a Delta 6” that is likely about 40 years old, had been previously owned by a local high school in their shop class. The guy I bought it from had recently installed a new Emerson motor. I even took it for a test drive. I learned that a machine like this, all cast iron mounted on a cabinet, likely was a better tool for the money than a new import. I was also enthused about the possibility of getting re-prints of user manuals on this machine from Delta.

Well I bought the thing a few weeks back and got a lead on some nice reclaimed lumber. I fired up my new jointer Thursday Nov 9 and quickly gave a good chunk of my right pinky up to the woodworking gods. Yep, cut it clean off. It seems that one of the three blades wasn’t tightened down well enough, started to slip out of it’s slot, nicked the infeed table enough to shatter the blade and a section of metal had it’s sights on my beloved pinky. You might think I’m venting but I do have some discussion.

The Delta folks seem willing to provide written material for my machine but without a model number, they seem to have bumped up against a wall. We’re still trying to get it done with casting numbers and I’m gong to send pictures. Does anyone else have any ideas? I saw one similar to mine with a similar background, used in a school district, and it too lacked a model. Is it possible that these were sold through some sort of a gov’t funded program, not intended for public sale/purchase, and therefore lacked any kind of a model number? I’m thinking of the old police cars which were pretty much just made with no sort of VIN.

Damage to the machine……with one of the blades destroyed, I’ll likely purchase a new SET. The additional section of medal that also fits into the cutter head groove, which holds the blade in place… What are these called? Are they available new? Read somewhere where someone had replaced the original bolts with SS, good idea? The meat of the cutter head sustained minimal damage abut I’m wondering if I should (or if it can be) replaced.

In the future, what is the best way to ride out a storm like this? It hit in only a second and the only thing I can think of is that I should have simply ducked and turned off the machine. Incidentally, the board I was working on shot about 29ft across my workshop. I could feel that something was happening out of the ordinary, kind of like when you have a flat tire. Just didn’t seem right and my hands were telling me something was out of align.

All in all, this incident really stinks. On the other hand, I feel extremely lucky. I was home alone and could have been knocked out. I could have lost a lot more than just a knuckle on my pinky, eyes, face etc. On the materialistic side, I have insurance and the machine wasn’t destroyed. It may seem like a foolish question, but should I be afraid to use this machine again?

Jim Becker
11-13-2006, 1:32 PM
"Ouch" seems like a very appropriate response! 'Sorry to hear of your injury, but glad it was limited to your finger and not, as you elude to, an eye or worse.

I know if it were me, I'd want to be absolutely sure that there isn't any material reason why the knives cannot be securely mounted in the cutter head. If you have any concerns of any kind that the cutter head is defective, replace it.

Rob Russell
11-13-2006, 1:36 PM
Ken,

Welcome to SMC.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the jointer again, provided I could be guaranteed that the blade holding screws hadn't been damaged. I think the metal bars you're talking about are called gibs. I agree with putting in a whole new set of blades. Once you figure out what model # it is that you have, Delta will likely have parts. I doubt that they made a "non-numbered" jointer for schools.

FYI, my grandfather was a cabinetmaker and the only machine that ever bit him hard was the jointer. He lost the first segment of his ring finger.

Rob

J Simpson
11-13-2006, 2:02 PM
Ken,

Not sure if you are aware of it, but OWWM.com is a great resource for these older machines. You can go to the Manufacturers index and look up Delta and try to locate a similar machine to yours.

I have what may be the same 6" jointer as yours (mine was made in 1965), and it is a 37-220. Unfortunately, the gibs and screws are no longer available from Delta (nor from Ace Tool Repair, another good source for Delta parts) for that particular model. My jointer came with a bare cutterhead - no knives, no gibs or screws. Someone from the OWWM forum advised that I might want to try those parts from a newer (37-195). I did that, and it has worked fine for me:

Part #s I used:
1340195 - Bar, $4.20ea., 3 reqd
1340196 - Screws, 0.89ea., 12 reqd

John Schreiber
11-13-2006, 5:11 PM
Nice Iron. Bad injury. Nice pun.

Good luck.

Jerry Olexa
11-13-2006, 5:22 PM
Be careful. Check it out thoroughly before you fire it up again. I'd get a new cutter assembly. Don't take a risk!!! Sorry to hear of your setback...

Fred Voorhees
11-13-2006, 5:34 PM
Ken, so far in the years that I have been woodworking in my shop, the jointer is the only machine to take a bite out of me. Just grazed the tip of a finger. Bled like the dickens, but didn't claim much flesh fortunately. I would check that jointer over with a fine toothed comb to make sure something isn't amiss.

Dan McGuire
11-13-2006, 8:43 PM
I purchased an old Craftsman jointer and used it with no problems the first 6 months or so that I had it. One day after after I sharpend and reset the knives and gave it a test spin and it threw one of the knives back at me. Fortunately I had the fence moved about halfway over the cutterhead so when the knife took flight it bounced off the fence as oppossed to my head, hand or other essential body part (yes they are all important to me). Unfortunately for me the cutter head was damaged to the point that I don't think it will safely hold the knife any longer.

Upon further inspection I found that the threads of the gib screw were fouled and gave a false sense of "thight" Once I cleaned the screws and put back together I was able to torque the screws properly. Needless to say I learned a lesson about the setup of machinery.

I am glad that you were not hurt any worse, hopefully you can find your replacement parts and get in the saddle so to speak.

Dan

Ted Miller
11-13-2006, 10:47 PM
My pops has been a cabinet maker/framer since the 50s and he always told me that the jointer is the most dangerous machine, I was always thinking the saw would do the most damage. Well my first jointer I was adjusting blades and my hand slipped off the wrench and my palm went right into a brand new blade, off to the ER for stitches. Now I use a block of wood just in case my hand slips.

Ken sorry to hear about your injury, and as you said, at least it was only your finger, imagine what damage that metal could have done to other parts of your body, hope you were wearing eye protection, if not make it a habit to do so.

And I would opt to change the whole blade assembly, just to make sure nothing else was damaged...

josh bjork
11-13-2006, 11:11 PM
I recently bought a jointer from a guy who never used it. He didn't have it that long and never used it but had a new one in a box right there and it looked like the same one. He had the knives in backwards. I tried it. I just went clunk, clunk on the wood. I then did the same he thing and threw a knife out. I guess the lesson is the cutterhead is hardened and you can torque them down. I never thought of the threads being fouled. Don't feel bad. Just be respectful.