PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
11-13-2006, 10:18 AM
Good Morning,

I hope everyone had a great weekend. Mine was pretty good and I got a couple of things done.

The LOML Jr is sick and we're waiting to see the doctor. All the weird weather changes usually causes at least one of my kids to get sick right before the Thanksgiving family visit travels. Oh well, that's what medication is for and maybe, just maybe we can get her well before next week.

Saturday I wound up working 16 hours at the day job and played bass at church on Sunday, came home and then had to take my oldest son back to church for choir practice. Whew!! Sunday was a long and busy day.

I'm now starting the top for the computer desk and I'm hoping and praying that this will go faster than the legs did.

Not exactly done over the weekend but just slightly prior to it, I finish turned my very first hollow form (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=49859&d=1163139296) turned from some Silver Poplar (thanks Mark!)

The LOML has had me working on Christmas gifts and this year she chose cutting boards (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=49856&d=1163138203) for me to make. Well, as of this writting? I have 8 of those cutting boards done and ready for the installation of the little rubber feet. Ya know? There's a lot more work to making those that one would really think.

Anyway, I'll post some progress picks of the computer desk before long, I just have to get busy on it today and tomorrow.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Keel McDonald
11-13-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm in the process of making 40 step stools for a children's project for my church. I have been turning out the different parts so the children can put them together. A lot of work. Much more than I originally thought. All I have left to do is sand the parts. I'll try to get some pics and post when they put them together.

glenn bradley
11-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Went to visit dad and setup his new (my old) tablesaw. It's non-mobile so it went pretty well. Everything is level and square. I finally put the machined pulleys on I never got around to; what a difference.

Ran a hot-wire for the LOML as her dog keeps jumping the wall to play with the dog next door.

Go the overarm DC reinstalled on the new saw. Just have to get the RT re-mounted and I'll post some pics and get back to work.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-13-2006, 10:33 AM
This weekend I finished turning my 20something pen for last week and some more bottle stoppers. Saturday and again Sunday, I introduced the LOML to the lathe. She roughed out a pen blank on Saturday and Sunday she finish turned, and sanded out a pen blank. This is all in preparation for her next attempt. Sharon's Mom is extremely religious. MY MIL and my FIL (before his death last year) were extremely close friends with their past couple of ministers visiting regularly with the last 2 ministers that retired away from the town where my MIL still lives. A couple of weeks ago I got a wild idea and ordered some certified Holyland olivewood pen blanks. Sharon is going to turn her Mom a pen from that olivewood. I turned a couple this weekend for my MIL to give to their pastorial friends for Christmas. Sharon did surprisingly well for her first turning attempt. NO CATCHES! I wasn't that skilled or lucky on my first attempts! Boys and girls can you say.......1) Toolrest........2) Heel (of the bevel)......3) Toe (of the bevel).....4) Rotate the tool........5) Ride that bevel.............It went well and we are still HAPPILY married!:D

Jim Becker
11-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Woo-hoo! Shop time happens! I got a good start Sunday on a cherry vanity (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45792) for the guest bath in the "someday to be realized" home addition. Something like six hours out there! Oh, my... :D :D :D

Saturday was major running around with dance class for the younger and heading to Tar-zhay to buy some clothes for the older who has gone from a size 8 to a size 14 in only a year. Did a little work on the big orange power tool getting ready for demolition of the deck next weekend in anticipation of said addition project. We then had a nice family dinner out and then I took a little bit of time to attend my neighbor Ed Murphy's, "opening" at the America Designs (http://americadesigns.com/) gallery in Lambertville NJ on Saturday. His show, entitled "Sticks and Stones" is great. He's an outstanding cabinetmaker by day and his introspective sculpture is wonderful. His wife is also a talented artist. (This is the fellow who commissioned me to make the gavel for awhile back that went to someone associated with Rago Auctions. He also gifted me all that nice purple heart, etc., not long ago)

Dennis Peacock
11-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Woo-hoo! Shop time happens! I got a good start Sunday on a cherry vanity (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45792) for the guest bath in the "someday to be realized" home addition. Something like six hours out there! Oh, my... :D :D :D

WOW!!!!! How'd you get so much shop time Jim??!!!! :p :rolleyes:

Looks great bud!!! I can't wait to see more pics of the project.

Rennie Heuer
11-13-2006, 11:14 AM
So what did YOU do this weekend?

Many many little tasks completed including a desk (just a slab of plywood, really) for laying out plans in my office. One other thing, I passed up what could have been a real money making opportunity. We tossed out this cardboard drum because it was taking up space and it was no longer needed (using a larger drum on the DC)

You don't have to have a keen eye to see why this should have gone on eBay rather than the garbage truck!

Zahid Naqvi
11-13-2006, 11:19 AM
Well, I was on-call, need I say more. Although we have a night shift guy who comes in at 9pm. but we had two machines crash on Friday hence no reprive for me. Saturday was rake the yard and play around with kids. Sunday painted the bathroom as a second step toward completely repainting our house.
Alas no wood working, but I do have a project to start from the next weekend. A partition/screen to separate our family room from the formal sitting room.

Steve Hayes
11-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Got the new wings on my tablesaw and finished my right hand extension table for the saw. I now need to rout the opening for the router plate.

Tyler Howell
11-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Put on a lot of miles this weekend. Did the walk through on the new place. Met the sellers. Real nice folks. No Gloats Yet. It's not mine:p
Yard work, packing, painting.
Picked up a few new toys . http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45793

Mark Pruitt
11-13-2006, 11:23 AM
One bowl Saturday
One bowl Sunday
(Six colleagues, six Christmas presents now turned, Watco'd last night, Beall tonight.)

....Haven't I said that somewhere before?:rolleyes:

Oh, and this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=463559#post463559) also happened.:mad:

Calvin Hobbs
11-13-2006, 12:18 PM
Had a nice time with my wife on Saturday, we had friends watch the kids and went to Branson for the afternoon - evening - morning to celebrate our 8th anniversary. I would recommend the Keeter Center at College of the Ozarks to anyone for a great place to stay.

Sunday afternoon we had a good time raking leaves and finally got a couple of hours in the shop last night.

At long last my Chippendale lowboy is coming together. I began finishing it by wetting it down to raise the grain, sanding, then stained with aniline dye. I hopefully will have it complete next week sometime.

A great weekend altogether. Cal

Steve Ash
11-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Saturday: Sucessfully and Safely got our new corn burning furnace down the stairs into our basement.

Sunday: Watched the "Pack" beat the Vikings!

Paul Kinneberg
11-13-2006, 12:44 PM
Completed my DP table just needs a coat or two of finnish. Also started making the cabinets that will augment the existing ones from the old shop. I look forward to getting back to furniture projects and having my new shop complete, where everything is in its place not a pile somewhere. Iv'e been working on it for about 18 months but hopefully by chistmas it will be complete.

Larry Fox
11-13-2006, 12:46 PM
Wife and kids were out of town Friday night and Saturday so it was spraying, spraying and more spraying for me. Done with all the big stuff at this point with just little stuff remaining - woo hoo! Man, what I wouldn't give for a proper finishing booth with proper lighting! :)

It was my youngest son's second birthday yesterday so we had family over which was a nice break.

Matt Meiser
11-13-2006, 12:50 PM
No woodworking, but I did spend a good amount of time in the shop. A few weeks ago I made a set of forks for my tractor which got primed on Saturday and a coat of John Deere Green on Sunday. I also cut apart and then put together the 3-point hitch end of my back blade so that it now fits my John Deere i-Match quick-hitch. Now I need to clean up and repaint the entire blade to get ready for snow season. Saturday I also spent an hour or so removing the emblems/logos from the doors and tailgate of my new truck, which looks really cool (pics pending as today the dealer is removing the cheesy pinstripe they installed before I bought it)

Chip Olson
11-13-2006, 1:19 PM
No shop time for me. :-( We hosted our annual birthday party Saturday (LOML and I were born a week apart) and it was a roaring, if exhausting, success. Sunday we spent some time at a friend's potluck brunch and ate far too much yummy food. When the kitchen is done I'm going to break it in by hosting a brunch party; that was fun.

Al Willits
11-13-2006, 1:36 PM
Had a three day weekend to play with, Friday got some more of the garage cleaned, and made a rack to put the wife's gardening stakes in, and refinished the torsion table.

Sat did the required running around with beasty, hit Menard's, Lowe's, Home Depot, then snuck a trip to Woodcraft in and seemed to find something to buy at each, also painted the wife's rack....er...gardening rack that is, also hung a new light fixture in the garage and finished the doors for the miter saw cabinet.

Sunday was a slow day in the shop, I installed 3 more light fixtures and wired the whole bunch to to several on/off switches.
Did a bit of welding for a buddy, and then basically just played some tunes and relaxed while planning the sideboard cabinet project.

Al

Nancy Laird
11-13-2006, 2:15 PM
Not much sawdust time this weekend--had a craft show on Saturday that took up 9 hours, then home to bookwork and toting up the proceeds. Sunday we made a Creeker visit to Santa Fe to see Rick Levine and how his new shop building is coming along. It's ready for insulation and sheetrock on the inside--stucco on the outside. Only problem is that the two can't be done at the same time. The building also needs doors!!! It was windy on that mountain where he lives and the wind coming into the building was like a wind tunnel. A fast stop at the outlet mall for some necessities, "linner" at a pizza place, and back home to do some laser work.

One more weekend of a craft show and I'm done for the season.!!! TG.

Nancy

Bob Nelson
11-13-2006, 3:37 PM
Sanded down all my Makore mirror frames I'm making as Christmas gifts. Had the shop vac attached to my PC ROS, air filtration on and dust mask and finally no irritation. That Mokore dust is nasty stuff.

After the sanding was done, I started applying the finish.

Fred Voorhees
11-13-2006, 4:58 PM
Finished up that Pirates chest Saturday morning and moved along to other things. I had to extract the bed liner and Delta tool box from the back of my pick up since this morning, I dropped off the truck at the local collision center for repairs from rear end job back in late September. Saturday morning also found a gentleman from around ten miles away stopping in. He saw my add for two grapefruit trees that I had grown for near ten years and finally wanted to get rid of. He gladly took them off of my hands. Tarped two huge piles of leaves back into my woods - again.

Sunday found the guys over for the NASCAR Nextel cup event and big spread of deep fried sunfish, onion rings and french fries to soak up the Coors Light.

Oh yeah, my brother already had plans to go fishing with another guy and he stopped by on his way home to show off one of his "catches". He is below, pictured in my driveway with the roughly 40 pound striped bass. I am hoping to duplicate this feat this coming Friday and Saturday when myself and another fishing buddy head to Cape May to do some surf fishing for stripers.

Keith Outten
11-13-2006, 5:31 PM
Saturday my familly and I went to the Norfolk Woodcraft Store for the annual Veterans Day Freedom Pens Project Turn-A-Thon.

I spent the majority of Sunday installing a workshop camera high on the back shop wall so I can watch my ShopBot on the Television from my shop office upstairs. Routing projects sometimes last for hours and it is nice to be able to work upstairs and still keep an eye on the router. Oh, and the noise level in the shop office is very comfortable :)