PDA

View Full Version : Akeda Still in Business???

Robert Strasser
11-13-2006, 9:13 AM
I have an Akeda Jig. I would like to buy the Akeda Undersize Bushing so I can adjust the fit of through dovetails in 5/8" soft maple. (the oversize cutter is not enough to make it fit) But I'm having a problem finding a source for it. I've not contacted Akeda, but the sources/stores listed on the Akeda web site as dealers no longer carry the Akeda. I've also heard rumors that Akeda is "going out of business", "is bankrupt", "Woodcraft bought out all the Akeda invintory and is now the only source", or "Akeda is just an OEM and is looking for a new partner".

Does anyone know (or has more interesting rumors) if Akeda is alive and well?

Allen Bookout
11-13-2006, 9:37 AM
I had seen some of the rumors but had not been concerned. Maybe I should have been.

Last year when I did not receive the two bits that came free with the offer I contacted them direct as I needed them and was going to have to buy seperately and they sent them to me right away with no problem. In fact, he was closed for the holiday but offered to go down and get them anyway but I declined of course. The whole point is that I would contact them directly. It is still only 6:30 in BC so might be a while before you get an response.

Let us know what you find out.

Allen

PS I am supprised that the oversized cutter did not compensate enough. Perhaps we should all buy the extra bushing set for situations like yours.

Jim Becker
11-13-2006, 9:42 AM
To the best of my knowledge, they are in business. Early in their existance, they had a bad fire at the factory and were off-line for a bit, but came back after that. Supposedly, they are working on a wider version of the jig to offer an alternative to the D4 and big PC jigs. I've only ever seen their products at Woodcraft. But I suggest you call them direct. Their site is here (http://www.akedajigs.com/).

Michael Cody
11-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Interesting to note, Woodcraft does not list Akeda as a manf on it's web site, though they still seem to carry the jigs. But more interesting -- Woodcraft is not listed as a dealer on Akeda's website anymore. Just food for thought as Woodcraft dropping off as a dealer would be big blow to thier distribution I would think.

Matt Meiser
11-13-2006, 1:13 PM
There is a story on their web site about an entity called The Jig Company buying them. The address is listed as a PO box now. There is fairly recent news listed on their web site, none of it seems negative and they mentioned the jig Jim talked about.

Allen Bookout
11-13-2006, 2:53 PM
I cannot find out anything about the company but at least all of the Akeda stuff is still available at Woodcraft. They have the oversized and undersized bushings. They are down toward the bottom on the page.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4406