PDA

View Full Version : New Rikon tonight!

Dale Gregory
11-13-2006, 8:11 AM
Hi fellow Mini/Maxi and Rikon owners! I'm picking up my Rikon tonight at Woodcraft, they finally have a shipment coming in today (they were nice and gave me the Oct. sale price $219.99 since I've been waiting for 4 weeks for them to arrive).

My question is should I shell out another $140. for the stand (looks nice and sturdy) or would you suggest making a wooden stand to start with and and use the extra money to buy a chuck, tools, etc.?

What chuck would you recommend for the Rikon?

Dale

Mark Pruitt
11-13-2006, 8:23 AM
I would not spend the $$ on that stand. You can build one and incorporate storage areas for tools and accessories. I need to go ahead and make one for my Rikon which is sitting atop my "bench" which also needs completion.....seems that all I ever have time for anymore is turning!:p Dunno if Corey is around today but here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=458211#post458211) is a stand he built that I'm taking some ideas from.

Dale Gregory
11-14-2006, 7:10 AM
Any other Rikon owners have an opinion on the stand? Bernie?

Thanks, Dale

Alex Cam
11-14-2006, 7:16 AM
Congratulations! Very exciting.

Pete Jordan
11-14-2006, 9:58 AM
I bought the Maxi and the stand and I wish I would have made my own even though it looks nice. They are not sturdy at all. I plan on making something it the summer since I live in the land of the wind chill factor.

Chris Chavis
11-14-2006, 10:49 AM
My $0.02 fromt he peanut gallery. Bought the Rikon and the extension - made a stand. I figure the stand I made is much sturdier than the purchased one and got the extension to add some additional weight, additional bolt-downs and some place to slide my tailstock when not in use.

Used 4x4 legs, 2x8 stringers, added a bottom shelf and used 2 pieces of 3/4 mDF as the top. Cheap and sturdy but not nearly as good looking as many of the others here. Cost less than $20.

Bernie Weishapl
11-14-2006, 3:46 PM
Dale I made my own bench and used the extra money for other things. I bought and use a Vicmarc chuck on it as well as the grizzly utility chuck. Any of the Super Nova, Oneway, Vicmarc, etc. chucks will work fine. As far as the extension I bought one for the Delta I gave to my nephew. I had it for a year and never used it. So unless you plan a making a lot of long spindles I wouldn't get it.

Corey Hallagan
11-14-2006, 7:10 PM
Dale I think it is best to build your own as many have said unless you just don't have the tools to do so. You can build it so it is the right size for you and is comfortable to use and give it the storage options you want. Been alot of nice stands built here. You can build a bench style, cabinet style, welded & weighted etc.

Oh... chucks. There are alot of nice chucks out there. if you are budget minded at this time, the 42.00 4 jaw chuck from Grizzly works great and that is basically the same chuck that PSI sells for 70-80. Next choice would be the Nova Midi chuck at around 100.00 very nice chuck but still uses tommy bars which some don't like. I use this chuck and I like it. The Nova G3 is a great chuck for this lathe as well and uses the scroll key. Great chuck for 120-140.00. Lots of nice chucks available over this price range but I question spending much more than that for a first lathe but that is my opinion for what it is worth.

Corey

Dale Gregory
11-14-2006, 9:58 PM
Thanks guys for all the opinions! You have convinced me, I've decided to build my first bench out of old scrap 2x4's from a deck I dismantled a few years ago, doubled up = 3"x3-1/2" legs and joists. Simple interlocking frame and two layers of MDF for the top and a lower shelf for storage/weight. Still debating on whether to make it long enough to add the extention later or not. Hope to build a nice looking hardwood frame next summer when I have time and it isn't freezing outside. Anyway, hope to build it this weekend and then get the Rikon out of the box! I like the looks of the G3 chuck but will probably go with the Grizzly for my 1st one.

Thanks again! This site is great!
Dale