PDA

View Full Version : Dave's New Workshop Thread

Dave Fifield
11-13-2006, 5:00 AM
Great news (for me at least!). I just signed up an architect to design, draw and get planning permission for my new workshop. I live in an unicorporated section of San Jose, so the offset/size rules are more relaxed, and there are plenty of precedent-setting rule-infringing buildings in the neighborhood already, so there shouldn't be too much of an issue with what I want to do. Here are a few sketchup pictures of what I have in mind:

http://www.ubersprang.com/workshop/View1_110106.jpg

http://www.ubersprang.com/workshop/View2_110106.jpg

http://www.ubersprang.com/workshop/View3_110106.jpg

http://www.ubersprang.com/workshop/View4_110106.jpg

It's going to have Velux skylights, a rollup front door as well as a normal entry door at the front, 10' high side walls and ceiling (should I go for 12'?), a toilet and hand basin in the small L section, plus some windows and a side door in the L section too. The little bump out section is for a sound-proofed cupboard (7' x 3' ish) to hide a cyclone DC and an air compressor. The L section will be walled off from the workshop (with a door between) and used as my new office/laser engraver area.

I'm not sure yet what to do about the ceiling. I want skylights in the roof to let in natural light, but I also want to floor out the attic for storage. The architect suggested flooring out just the rear half of the main section and leaving the front half open all the way to the roof. Any ideas/opinions that might help me decide?

One of my buddies suggested I pay a bit more and have post tensioned concrete for the slab. Anyone done this before? It has to be concrete I'm afraid, since it has to pass as a garage if I ever sell my property. I'd love to have a raised wood floor, but I fear that would limit the resale value.

I'll post more pictures and news to this thread as things progress. Hopefully, all the plans should be done and passed by the end of the year....fingers crossed!!

Cheers,
:Dave F.

Art Mulder
11-13-2006, 6:59 AM
I'm not sure yet what to do about the ceiling. I want skylights in the roof to let in natural light, but I also want to floor out the attic for storage. The architect suggested flooring out just the rear half of the main section and leaving the front half open all the way to the roof. Any ideas/opinions that might help me decide?

Dave, I like the idea of the half-loft. It gives you the skylights you want, and still gives you a lot of storage up there. If you leave it wide open along the front, it also gives you many ways to access it.

But will you also have other windows? I would put in some, for views, and more light. They will also help tie the building in architecturally with the house, and make it even more attractive.

Too bad about the floor, but I understand. Still, you could still throw a wood floor over top -- maybe osb on top of Delta-FL (or equivalent dimpled product). Its not that hard to remove that, if a future owner wants too. Hmm, I wonder what a floating floor of cheap laminate would cost. Those don't even require fastening down, and would be dead easy to remove. I've seen them on sale for $1.50 a square foot around here, depending on thickness, $3/ft more often. (Hmm, does the calculation - Okay, that's actually like $1500 to $3000 for your place, so maybe it isn't just chump change. Never mind)

have fun with it, and post pictures! :D

Bart Leetch
11-13-2006, 9:41 AM
I have seen buildings with a wide balcony all the way around the wall parameter. A 6' or 8' deep balcony will hold a lot of stuff & still let you have sky lights just about everywhere you want them. Just think very large library ladder roll it along to where the STUFF you want is stored & bring it down or put more STUFF up. (Edit) I just did a little experiment using our queen sized bed which hits me just above the knees & at 5' wide I can comfortably reach clear across it.

What about a bathroom with at least a toilet & have a deep sink out in the main shop area?

John Schreiber
11-13-2006, 5:56 PM
Still, you could still throw a wood floor over top -- maybe osb on top of Delta-FL (or equivalent dimpled product).
I hadn't seen anything like the Delta-FL. It looks like a neat product. Much easier than laying down a framed floor and it would have many of the same advantages. Thanks for the tip.

Al Killian
11-13-2006, 6:02 PM
Sound really nice. You are lucky that you can build so close to your house. Around here it has to be a min. of fifty feet from the house and twenty feet from the propertty line. Can you tell the do not want any new building put up?

John Bush
11-13-2006, 6:34 PM
Hi Dave
Your shop design looks good! I posted pics of my shop to show how windows can bring in lots of light and they also show what an open ceiling can do for sense of space. The bottom of the large beam is 9', the highest point of the shed roof is ~13', and the headroom in the main shop area is 11'. --Unfortunaely I don't know how to link to that thread. Look up the "Rob's Workshop" thread started on 11-04-06 and go to post #29 to view the pics. I am new to techies stuff and these were my first pics posted. Let me know if you would like to see more. Good luck, John.

Mike Spanbauer
11-13-2006, 6:52 PM
Excellent concept, and lucky that you've relaxed zoning there :)

That should be a mighty fine place to create much sawdust.

keep us posted!

mike

Rob Bodenschatz
11-13-2006, 7:02 PM
Dave, I've toyed with the idea of doing what you say, the half-loft. I think it's a great idea. The two reasons I decided not to do it were that it cuts down on attic storage, and it would cost more to heat. Not sure how cold it gets there or how much storage you need. If you can deal with those issues, go for it. The other thing to keep in mind is that you'll need to have more powerful lighting above that area. Or, have your lights drop down to normal (9-10') levels.

Looks good so far!

Bruce Page
11-13-2006, 7:37 PM
Let’s see, the large building is the shop, the smaller building is the neander/finishing room and the blue thing is the reflecting pond where you will contemplate your next great project. So Dave, where the heck are you going to live? :confused:
I’m looking forward to the build!

Jim Becker
11-13-2006, 8:33 PM
Looks like a fine plan to me...but do a few windows to keep things "light" and filled with it, too. Some high on the wall and a couple at normal height so you can enjoy the view.

Tom Hamilton
11-13-2006, 9:22 PM
Looks like a fine project and one you will get many hours of pleasure from. Regarding the wood floor: a FWW article a few years ago suggested T&G 3/4 ply underlayment on pressure treated stringers as a suitable shop floor. I've been walking on mine for three years. Easy on knees and feet. I stained it golden oak and coated with poly. Once a year or so I recoat. Less than a buck a foot as I recall.

All the best, Tom

Chuck Wood
11-13-2006, 10:32 PM
Dave,

I'm happy for ya! :D It's just a shame that you are going to have to work under these conditions! :D