PDA

View Full Version : Delta 560 Planer.

Tyler Howell
10-28-2003, 9:47 PM
Have a questions about the Delta 560. A friend of a friend is selling one and I was looking for the pros and cons.

Thanks as always

Tyler :confused:

Mike Circo
10-29-2003, 9:10 AM
No cons really. A good planer with locking head for snipe control.

HOWEVER...

As this is a used machine, there is one thing you should know. The earliest generation of the 22-560 had a problem where the cutter head pulley would loosen, wobble on its shaft and basically destroy the shaft, pulley, keyway and head. (I have first hand knowledge and experience with this). Mine did it shortly after the warrenty expired and Delta still replaced it free.

Find out the age. If it is 2 years or less old you should be fine.

At any rate remove the outside and inside covers on the drive mechanism. Check the pulleys. The drive pulley should be secured with LOTS of Loctite and the nut must be secure on the shaft. The pully should have no lateral play and the drive belt should show no uneven wear.

Otherwise a fine machine.

Doug Littlejohn
10-29-2003, 4:28 PM
I've been very happy with mine. Planned a fair amount of walnut, maple and exotics. Make sure you have the tables leveled and maybe even build a carrying sled (drops in, straddles the tables so it doesn;t move, made out of melamine (sp?) so wood slides nice), gives you less snipe and allows for much thinner wood to be safely planned.

scott spencer
10-29-2003, 5:33 PM
If your friend's friend's machine has been trouble free up to now, it should continue to work well for you with a little maintenance and maybe new blades. Mines about 2 years old now, and have been very pleased. The newer version (TP400) sells for ~ $300 new.

Tyler Howell
10-29-2003, 6:20 PM
Thank you gentlemen Knowledge is power.

Tyler :cool: