PDA

View Full Version : Almost done with shellac. Poly over?

Matt P
11-13-2006, 12:42 AM
Hi all,
Thank you for being such a great forum. I've just finished rubbing out the Zinnser shellac finish on a small decorative walnut tray (not for actual use). I finally used Meguiars Deep Crystal Auto Polish, which worked very well to give a gloss. My question is: should I put on a coat of poly for protection? I am just petrified that I will do that and result in lines/streaks in the finish, and lose all my hard-rubbing efforts. Or should I just use paste wax? (Does wax really DO anything if it's applied over a rubbed-out gloss finish?
Thanks,
Matt

Steve Schoene
11-13-2006, 7:36 AM
Unless an object is subject to abrasion or chemicals shellac will outlast "poly" by a large, large margin, so I would definately not add poly or any other varnish over such a decorative object. Besides, the first step in adding a varnish over the shellac would be sanding with 320 grit to give the varnish something to hold on to. And, if the shellac isn't dewaxed (ie. you used Zinsser Seal Coat) poly or water borne won't adhere properly, though a traditional resin varnish would. Varnish, especially poly doesn't rub out nearly as well as shellac so getting the same deep gloss could well be impossible or at least very, very difficult.

Wax is purely optional. It adds only minor protection. At least it can be easily removed with naptha or mineral spirits.

Kyle Robinson
11-13-2006, 4:07 PM
you don't need any additional protection since the piece isn't intended for hard use. You're done. Relax and enjoy!! :)

Matt P
11-14-2006, 1:04 AM
Wow, I didn't know shellac outlasts poly (in a low-use environment). I would have thought that poly would last longer...

Jim Becker
11-14-2006, 9:01 PM
Matt..."poly" is just varnish formulated with polyurethane resins that provide a (slightly) increased resistance to abrasion. It's the most over-hyped, over-marketed finish on the planet. I've used it on one project in the last six years...my kitchen table. And you know what? Over the past year since we brought our girls home, the frequent cleaning (with environmentally safe products) has pretty much detroyed the finish. Next spring when it gets warm, it's getting sanded and sprayed with the acrylic product I normally use for "user" furniture and cabinetry...Target Coatings USL. My kitchen is finished with it and is still pristine after the same kind of regular cleaning.

Shellac provides a hard, transparent finish that is beautiful to look at and easily renewable. But when more "durability" is required, there are any number of finishes that work well...alkyd varnishes, water borne acrylics, lacquer, etc.

Jerry Olexa
11-15-2006, 5:19 PM
On a project like yours, I'd avoid the poly as Jim says above...

Matt P
11-16-2006, 12:09 AM
thanks for the advice!
Matt