PDA

View Full Version : First Turnings

Adam Bauer
11-12-2006, 10:57 PM
Alright after a good deal of "playing around" with my little lathe I've decided to show off my first 4 actual turnings. Now I have a whole stack of round things with all sorts of deformed beads/coves/etc... but these 4 items are things that I turned with an actual end result in mind.

The first one I did in early October, it was supposed to be a small candle holder that is a clone of two large candle holders we have next to our fireplace. However I had some problems with the beads and with chiping since it was pine. I also forgot to square the ends so it actually leans to one side. In the end it will never end up being used but I'm keeping it as it was the first thing I ever turned with the purpose of being something and not just a practice exercise.

The second piece is a christmas ornament I made about 3 weeks ago. I made it as part of a mentor day hosted by my local AAW chapter. While there are many things I could have done better I'm still quite happy with it as I came away from that day with a much better knowledge of smaller scale turning (its amazing how much more you learn from a real live person as opposed to a book or video) and even a set of homemade hollowing tools!

Lastly is two pens I made yesterday for the Freedom Pens Turn-A-Thon at the Fort Worth, Texas Woodcraft. I think they came out pretty good for my first two pens ever and also the smallest things I've ever turned. Once again room for improvement but that comes with time and now that I'm 110% hooked I see plenty more time and plenty more turning in my future!

Corey Hallagan
11-12-2006, 11:06 PM
Nice work Adam, your doing great and welcome to SMC!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
11-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Nice work Adam. Everyone has to start somewhere and you got a good start.

Chris Chavis
11-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Alright after a good deal of "playing around" with my little lathe I've decided to show off my first 4 actual turnings. Now I have a whole stack of round things with all sorts of deformed beads/coves/etc... but these 4 items are things that I turned with an actual end result in mind.

Welcome - new here myself, great bunch of people here - amazing talent. Turning is addictive - found that once I started, I cannot stop - bought my Rikon about three weeks ago and have turned every night since I got it setup.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-12-2006, 11:44 PM
Welcome to the Creek Adam! Nice looking first projects! Yup.......You are indeed a Spin Crack Addict!

Jonathon Spafford
11-13-2006, 1:06 AM
Welcome to the creek... you did a really nice job on those turnings... nice little ornament... looks like acorns on the stem (real cute). Your pens are also really good! Keep it up!

Mark Cothren
11-13-2006, 7:21 AM
Way to go, Adam! Nice work.

Mark Pruitt
11-13-2006, 8:03 AM
Excellent start, Adam, and welcome to SMC! About that candlestick: It looks like both ends are unturned, which leads me to think that you could possibly place it on a table saw and use the miter gauge to square it up. Or use a CMS if the fence is long enough:confused:

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!