PDA

View Full Version : First bowl(?) lesson

Gary Herrmann
11-12-2006, 8:46 PM
I've been working on the house, so I haven't gotten much shop time lately.

I finally got back to my catalpa bowl. Sanded out the tearout. Put on 3 coats of General Finishes (which I've always liked). My wife inspected it and pronounced it good.

Then I proceeded to turn the thing into a funnel when I parted it off. Ugh. I'll be more than happy for you to believe it didn't happen since I didn't post a pic.

Gonna get back on the horse after dinner. I have a chunk of something or other I can use for a bowl blank. Once I try that one, I'm tapped out. I'm gonna have to stock up on bowl blanks. Hmm, I sense a trip to Lumber Logs...

I may also have to start thinking about one of those lathe chuck things that grip the wood (don't you love it when I get technical?). My 3" faceplate is probably going to limit me some.

Once again into the vortex, dear friends...

Richard Jones
11-12-2006, 9:17 PM
Hey Gary,

Don't think you can't do the same thing with a chuck!!! Did a nice small walnut bowl several months ago, decided to take One More Pass with the scraper on the interior, got a lot of squeal, thought, hmmmmmmmmm, that's strange.......... Now have a self-draining container.............

Don't get me wrong, a chuck is nice, and I won't do without mine, but you can still screw up with them.........

Keep that bowl on the shelf as a reminder. Remember, when you lose, don't lose the lesson...............

Rich

Christopher Hunter
11-12-2006, 10:06 PM
I agree with Richard,,,
I been at this for a year and I still poked through the side of a hollow form today--- I know what it's like--- we all do --
but only with practice do we achieve greatness //
a few weeks ago I saw a WT show on DIY and remember him saying have some fun.. well a few days ago I actually tried it and you know what. I did it was one of the best times I had on the lathe -- you may be wondering how did the piece come out -- well it split the next day --
BUT
I still had fun doing the project

--Enjoy every part of turning --that's why we do it
--Chris

Bernie Weishapl
11-12-2006, 11:28 PM
Well Gary you have just joined the crowd. I have probably had 3 funnels in the last 3 or 4 months. I finally got me some measuring devices that will hopefully eliminate that problem.

Chris said it best. Just have relax and have fun.

Gary Herrmann
11-12-2006, 11:51 PM
Remember, when you lose, don't lose the lesson...............Rich

Hey Rich, do you coach? I remember my bball coach saying something just like that to me. It was hard to hear in school, but I've learned a bit since then.