PDA

View Full Version : New Turner

Alex Cam
11-12-2006, 8:19 PM
Hello!

I've been reading the forums for some time now, and finally decided to take the plunge and learn to turn. I took a class at the local Woodcraft, and was hooked before I got my first piece roughed out. I turned out two more practice peices, and had a heck of a time with the little, squat bowl-looking thing. Could it be partly due to the fact that I wasn't using a bowl gouge for the steep curve on the top and bottom? It was more of a small roughing gouge. I saw a bowl gouge later, and it had a much, much deeper flute on it. Just a thought.

I know this will shock everyone, but I'm now in the unfortunate position of wanting to buy a lathe. I'm thinking that the Rikon mini could keep me busy for a year or so until I decide it's time to step up to a full-size lathe. Will a Rikon mini be sufficient to get me started with HF's and bowls? Budget really isn't the problem, it just doesn't seem prudent to spend 2k on a lathe that I won't even appreciate right now.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and making some sawdust.

Alex

Richard Jones
11-12-2006, 9:13 PM
Alex,

I only started turning about a year ago, and since I haven't hurt myself or anyone else yet, I think I can speak with some degree of experience and wisdom............;)

My Rikon has done well for this first year, and with my daughter soon to have twins, my 3520B might just be a wee bit longer in getting here. If I have to make a choice, I'll take the twins.........:D

I have no qualms about recommending the Rikon to you. I have turned some almost 12" stuff on it, and had no problems. Good luck, keep practicing, and join a local AAW chapter near you. They usually have a decent library where you can borrow some tapes/books/DVD's for instruction. Great bunch of guys and gals, too...........

Let us know if we can help, and we'll keep the coffee hot for you..........

Richard Jones
Rice, VA

Oh yeah, bowl gouges are for bowls, roughing gouges are for spindle work only............

Ken Fitzgerald
11-12-2006, 9:30 PM
Alex.........First.....Welcome to the Creek! Secondly........I don't have a Rikon mini but a lot of folks here do and seem to think they are a good value! BTW.........Welcome to the Vortex!

Christopher Hunter
11-12-2006, 9:58 PM
HI,
I know what you mean about having a tuff time with things at first.
almost a year ago, I bought my first lathe -- nothing fancy
I also bought the gouges with it and couldn't figure out why I was getting so many catches- turned out that my gouges that said they were for bowls were really for the scrap yard --LOL
then when I finally bought a decent gouge everything changed--
Keep up the work, it will only get easier and more fun

Steve Schlumpf
11-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Hello Alex and welcome.

As far as your question about a lathe - seems everyone here with the Rikon or Jet mini's really enjoy them. I started out on an old Craftsman 2 years ago and only recently upgraded. To me it wasn't so much the lathe that I had but the passion that I had for what I was doing. While a lot of people specialize in spindles or bowls - I am actively trying to learn both. Course that means different tools, different techniques - but it's all fun! I am - at this time - self-taught and if I could suggest any one thing it would be to take some lessons. The time it would save you would be amazing.

Be sure to let us know what you decide on. Looking forward to your posts.

Bernie Weishapl
11-12-2006, 11:24 PM
Alex welcome to the Creek. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge. I do have the Rikon along with a bunch of others on here. I think for the money it is hard to beat. You can do pens, spindles and do a full 12" bowl. The other thing that has sold me on it is you can change the belt without tearing the lathe apart to do it. Again welcome.

Chris Chavis
11-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Aye, First, welcome.

As far as your question about a lathe - seems everyone here with the Rikon or Jet mini's really enjoy them. I started out on an old Craftsman 2 years ago and only recently upgraded.
On the new lathe - had an old Craftsman tube lathe that I used a few times. Was ok, but I didn't have any accessories. So I figured that if I was going to pick up all new tooling, adding in a new Rikon wasn't a big addition. Really like it - picked it up a few weeks ago, took me some time to get the bench setup, but once that was done - haven't stopped turning since.

Alex Cam
11-13-2006, 9:04 AM
Great endorsements of the Rikon lathe -- thanks for the help. I've also read that the HF tool set is a good place to start, learn to grind, and get going before upgrading to some higher-end tools?

Other things on my list:
1. Slow-grinder
2. Wolverine sharpening jig
3. Bill Grumbine's second DVD (already got the 1st one!)

Also, I'd like to know if there's a good place to learn how to cut up logs for a HF or bowl. A friend of mine had a tree service come in and cut down a dying maple tree last weekend -- no less than 7' diameter at the base. Incredible tree. I hacked off pieces and parts that I thought had the most grain, but I can't help think that if I knew what I was doing there was 10 years worth of incredible turning wood that I missed.

Great to meet everyone!

Alex