PDA

View Full Version : Question About Burl

Christopher K. Hartley
11-12-2006, 8:05 PM
I'm working on another Spalted Pecan Bowl. My question is this: Can burl form inside the spalt area?:confused: The pictures don't do this one justice but the white color looks like marble with swirling in it. This is the rough-out and the Bowl is in it's second week of drying. Thanks,
P. S. Sorry about not taking the time to read and answer your posts, but time has been at a premium of late.:)

Tom Sherman
11-12-2006, 9:17 PM
Chris I don't have the answer to your Question but that sure looks like a very nice piece.

Michael Armstrong
11-12-2006, 9:28 PM
Chris;
I'd suggest that it is spalt forming in the burl area not the other way around.

The bowl looks great and I wish I could get my hands on some of that spalted pecan up here in Canada. I do like the patterns found in the spalted maple I have available up here.

Michael

Ken Fitzgerald
11-12-2006, 9:36 PM
Chris...........I can't answer your question .....but you sure have a beautiful piece of wood and are putting it to good use! Great looking bowl. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Bill Grumbine
11-12-2006, 9:43 PM
Chris, spalting is rot, and burl is formed as the tree grows. I have turned plenty of spalted burl, but I would have to say that it was burl that spalted, and not the other way around. Nice looking piece so far.

Bill

Christopher K. Hartley
11-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Chris, spalting is rot, and burl is formed as the tree grows. I have turned plenty of spalted burl, but I would have to say that it was burl that spalted, and not the other way around. Nice looking piece so far.

BillBill, from what you can see here would you say that this is Burl or is it just the regular wood? Thanks,

Bill Boehme
11-12-2006, 10:17 PM
Different Bill, but I don't see any burl, but it is a very nice piece of pecan.

Bill

Christopher K. Hartley
11-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Different Bill, but I don't see any burl, but it is a very nice piece of pecan.

BillOk, now a dumb question...How do I know when something is burl?:confused:

Christopher K. Hartley
11-12-2006, 10:29 PM
...I wish I could get my hands on some of that spalted pecan up here in Canada. I do like the patterns found in the spalted maple I have available up here.

MichaelSo do I hear you saying you'd like to do a swap?:cool:

Bernie Weishapl
11-12-2006, 11:18 PM
Don't know if it is burl or not Chris but that is one nice piece of wood.

Dario Octaviano
11-12-2006, 11:20 PM
I agree with Bill.

I believe that is not a burl but I may be mistaken. That said, the spalting on it is gorgeous!!!

Curt Fuller
11-12-2006, 11:59 PM
In that middle photo it looks like there might be a little burl action going on. Whatever it is, it's pretty nice looking wood.

Bill Boehme
11-13-2006, 12:15 AM
Here is a picture of a typical looking piece of burl wood after it has been field dressed.

Bill

Bill Grumbine
11-13-2006, 8:04 AM
Bill, from what you can see here would you say that this is Burl or is it just the regular wood? Thanks,

Chris, it sure is pretty, but I don't see any burl there. Burl is usually characterized by lots of little eyes which are the ends of long rays. This is not true for all burls. I recently posted a sugar maple burl which is a little different, and some of the white oak stuff I have seen in the past can be a little different. I have attached two pictures below. One is a closeup of the eyes typical for maple and many others. The other is of the rays. It depends on how you cut and turn the piece how the burl will be manifested. The rays terminate in all those points on the surface of the wood.

There is lots of pretty wood out there that is not burled, and it looks like you have a piece of it. Good luck with turning it!

Mark Pruitt
11-13-2006, 8:14 AM
Burl or no burl, that is one fine piece of pecan you have there Chris. I look forward to seeing it completed!

Christopher K. Hartley
11-13-2006, 12:52 PM
Chris, it sure is pretty, but I don't see any burl there. Burl is usually characterized by lots of little eyes which are the ends of long rays. This is not true for all burls. I recently posted a sugar maple burl which is a little different, and some of the white oak stuff I have seen in the past can be a little different. I have attached two pictures below. One is a closeup of the eyes typical for maple and many others. The other is of the rays. It depends on how you cut and turn the piece how the burl will be manifested. The rays terminate in all those points on the surface of the wood.

There is lots of pretty wood out there that is not burled, and it looks like you have a piece of it. Good luck with turning it!

Bill, as usual you have been very instructive and helpful. Your explanations are appreciated. They really help nubies like myself. Thanks,:)

Christopher K. Hartley
11-13-2006, 12:53 PM
Thanks everyone, I'll be sure to post it when it is finished.:)