PDA

View Full Version : Performax 16-32 sander

Lloyd McKinlay
11-12-2006, 7:15 PM
Talked to someone selling an older model (629002) Performax drum sander. I wasn't actually thinking of buying a drum sander but it would make some projects easier and provide better results. At the right price it could climb to the top of the wish list pretty quickly.

So what would be a reasonable price for the machine? Any tips on things I should look for when I inspect the unit? I know Performax has a good reputation but what are opinions about the overall usefulness of a drum sander in a small workshop?

Doug Shepard
11-12-2006, 7:36 PM
I could be way off and this is just a guess, because I haven't seen too many used ones for sale, but I would think $500-600 might be in the ballpark. I suspect the prices on these might not depreciate as much as some other tools just because there aren't cheaper alternatives out there. A lot depends on what accesories he has with it - added infeed/outfeed table extensions? the caster set? extra rolls of paper? I bought mine new about 10 years ago with the casters and extensions and think I paid around $950 at the time. As long as both motors seem to be working, about the only common problem I'm aware of is the conveyor belt. If it's got a lot of waviness or lumpy spots it might need to be replaced. It might also need to have the conveyor belt tracking adjusted, and some folks seem to have more problems than others getting theirs to track right. Thankfully it's never been an issue on mine.

Brad Kimbrell
11-12-2006, 10:12 PM
I've had mine for about 3 years now and it's one of the nicest time-savers that I have in the shop.

I have not had any problems with tracking, but I did have to go back and readjust the level of the sanding drum about 3 months ago when I was sanding a 28" coffee table top. Probably due to me not adjusting it properly when I put the thing together.

Another thing is that it's great for sawn veneer and bent lamination strips.

Like others have said, only 1/4 turn (1/64") per pass or you will kick the circuit breaker on the sanding motor. Slow and steady with this machine definitely wins the race.

I wouldn't sell mine for less than $600 even if I needed the money. I have the casters and the infeed / outfeed tables as well. Paid about $900 for it during the Jet $100 rebate on a second machine over $299. I picked up a Jet 1100CK dust collector with it as well.

Good luck!

Hoa Dinh
11-13-2006, 12:02 AM
As stated, $600 is within the ballpark. But the price of a particular unit varies depending on:

- 1 HP (old) or 1.5 HP (current) motor.
- 2.5" (old) or 4" (current) dustport.
- without (old) or with (current) ceramic guides for the conveyor belt.
- without or with extension tables.
- without or with casters.

You need extension tables (can be shop-made). The Performax casters are really really nice.

Lloyd McKinlay
11-13-2006, 3:11 PM
Thanks to all for the good info. Certainly makes a well informed decision easier.

Bailey John
11-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Lloyd,

I was very fortunate to find one locally in N. Va on craigslist.org for $350. Its the older one with 2.5 port, homemade stand with basic casters. I have since changed the feeder paper, added the guides and ext. tables. So I have less than $450 in on it. You may be as fortunate, keep looking.

Best

Phil Crable
12-04-2007, 9:09 AM
Hi All,
I just picked up the older model 629002 Performax 16-32 sander yesterday. At first glance, it doesn't appear to have had a lot of use but I'm looking for help on a few things.

First I'm looking for the manual for it. I found the WMH Tool Group page and I'll try calling them since I don't see the manual for the 629002 model.

The 2nd concern is that it appears that the previous owner cranked down the side belt adjustment tension bolts enough to bend the brackets. I don't think it's too bad, but once I get the manual and figure out how to take the feed belt off, I'll try to straighten them out better.

Anyone had experience trying to upgrade some of the parts on the older model with parts from the newer one ? In particular I saw something about ceramic guides on the new one and the lid with a 4" dust port.

Thanks for any input,
--Phil

Jim Podsedly
12-04-2007, 9:43 AM
Would a finish sanding be required after the drum sander is done?

I do a lot of ROS sanding and sure would be nice to just run the tops through a Performax and call it good.

Thanks,
Jim

Phil Crable
12-04-2007, 10:58 AM
The WMH people did have the manual for the 629002 model. If anyone needs a copy, I can send it. The older model apparently stopped production in about 1995.

If anyone else has ideas on my other questions / issues above, please let me know.

Thanks,
--Phil

Mike Cutler
12-04-2007, 11:46 AM

I do a lot of ROS sanding and sure would be nice to just run the tops through a Performax and call it good.

Thanks,
Jim

IMHO, yes it still does require a final finish sanding. The performax will leave very faint lines running the length of the material. Depending on your finish technique, and wood,( I primarily use oily tropicals) you will still have to finish sand, or card scrape the surface.

keith ouellette
12-04-2007, 12:28 PM
I love my 16/32. I bought mine used for $450 which was half of what they were new at the time. I believe the one I bought to be 3 years old.

Paul Joynes
12-04-2007, 1:02 PM
I just received a Laguna Tools 16-32 on Friday and set it up in my basement. For $595 you get the machine, stand, casters, and infeed and outfeed tables. (http://www.lagunatools.com/platinumsander2.htm) At that price I couldn't let it go. I am still waiting to receive finer grits of paper (it ships with 80 grit) but hope to be using it on projects later this week.

With new machines at this price, the price of used ones will have to come down accordingly.

Regards,

Paul

Gary Muto
12-04-2007, 3:01 PM
Congrats Paul. Looks like a nice sander and a good deal.

Justin Bukoski
12-04-2007, 3:06 PM
Paul, can you keep us up to date on how your sander performs. That's a great price but I've never heard of the Laguna sander.

Cary Falk
12-04-2007, 3:29 PM
Paul, I would also be interested in you opinion of this tool once you get it up and working. I looks like the Jet/Performancemax/Steel City. This is very interesting. I requested info from their website.

Mike Cutler
12-04-2007, 3:48 PM
I just received a Laguna Tools 16-32 on Friday and set it up in my basement. For $595 you get the machine, stand, casters, and infeed and outfeed tables. (http://www.lagunatools.com/platinumsander2.htm) At that price I couldn't let it go. I am still waiting to receive finer grits of paper (it ships with 80 grit) but hope to be using it on projects later this week.

With new machines at this price, the price of used ones will have to come down accordingly.

Regards,

Paul

Paul

There are a few differences between the Laguna, and the "original" Performax. Chiefly, the support bracket on the open side of the stand. Can it be removed to make the sander a 16/32 as the Performax was sold as?
There is one misleading statement in Laguna's brochure that you linked to.
The Brochure implies that the max sanding depth is 1/8" . I can almost guarantee you that if you were to try and sand off 1/8" in a single pass with the sander it will trip the reset on the motor. I believe this may be the minimum material thickness spec.
You will find that once initial drum contact is established with the material, you will rotate the depth handle a max of 1/6th of a revolution.
I'm interested to know how that additional support works out.

Dave Lehnert
12-04-2007, 4:16 PM

Regards,

Paul
Yes! keep use up to date. Seems too good to be true $$$ for a Laguna brand tool.

Cary Falk
12-04-2007, 4:40 PM
Paul

Chiefly, the support bracket on the open side of the stand. Can it be removed to make the sander a 16/32 as the Performax was sold as?

I would take a guess and say it can be removed. The Steel City sander has that same bracket. Both are advertised as 16/32.

Paul Johnstone
12-04-2007, 5:03 PM

Thanks,
Jim

I often skip the ROS, but I primarily use oak, so it doesn't show (either that or my eyesight is getting worse).

I'll typically do 80, 120 grit and that's ok for me. If I'm in a picky mood, I'll do a pass with 150.

I know other hobbyists feel that that's not a nice enough grit for finish sanding, but I'm satisfied.

I'd try running a scrap through and finishing it, and seeing if you're satisfied.

Derek McAleer
05-22-2023, 5:53 PM
The WMH people did have the manual for the 629002 model. If anyone needs a copy, I can send it. The older model apparently stopped production in about 1995.

If anyone else has ideas on my other questions / issues above, please let me know.

Thanks,
--Phil

Could you send me a copy of this manual? Tried to PM you, but that option was turned off in this old thread. Thanks!

Jim Morgan
05-22-2023, 9:34 PM
Could you send me a copy of this manual? Tried to PM you, but that option was turned off in this old thread. Thanks!

Take a look at his profile page - last activity here was in December. 2007. I don't think you are going to hear back from him, seventeen years later.

Robyn Horton
05-23-2023, 8:48 AM
Derek Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a copy of the manual.

Earl McLain
05-23-2023, 9:27 AM
Derek Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a copy of the manual.

Hey Robyn--i just sent him a copy of the one you sent me 3 years ago (he'd posted in that thread as well). Still appreciate you doing that for me!!
earl

Robyn Horton
05-23-2023, 9:43 PM
Glad it worked out for you Earl

Randy Heinemann
05-24-2023, 8:06 PM
It’s a great tool to have but you have to understand its limitations. First, it’s not a planer. The amount you can remove on a single pass is tiny in comparison. I tend to remove .005 per pass which the smallest the digital gauge will measure. Beyond that it’s possible the piece will get stuck on occasion. So it’s a flattening tool after getting close to desired thickness or creating a flat glue joint. If you have a lot to take off it will take forever and there is always least some risk that the piece won’t be perfectly even across wide boards. Just using it for final flattening any differences won’t be noticeable. I love it. I just know its limitations.