PDA

View Full Version : Table saws and brakes

Dan Lee
11-12-2006, 7:05 PM
I wonder why table saws don't have a braking mechanism of some sort?
OK there is one on the market but the SawStop isn’t what I’m thinkin about.:)
Seems like when I read about accidents, sometimes being impatient and reaching in for a cutoff before the blade has stopped is a cause.
Dan

Bruce Page
11-12-2006, 9:28 PM
I have wondered the same thing. It should be doable, there is a lot of machinery that have the feature.

lou sansone
11-12-2006, 9:44 PM
A few high quality american made saws do have brakes on the motor, but not the basic unisaw. The Oliver 260D, which has twin 5 hp direct drive motors , has built in drum brakes on each motor. this saw was produced from ~ 40's to the early 90's. I owned one of them and the brake system worked great. many modern european sliding table saws have brakes as well. The oliver would stop in about 2 seconds with a 16" blade on it. Bill S. has one of these saws and might be willing to chime in.

lou

Harry Goodwin
11-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Somewhere along the way I heard that a brake on table saw had bad effects on a saw with dado blade attatched. Maybe coming loose. If that be the case it's a good reason. harry

Dan Lee
11-12-2006, 10:32 PM
I have wondered the same thing. It should be doable, there is a lot of machinery that have the feature.
--------------------------------------------------
I know my bandsaw has a peddle brake, miter saw has a centrifical(sp?) brake. I have had to remind myself to be patient waiting for the TS blade to wind down, like when I use my panel cutter and the splitter pawls are dug in

Nissim Avrahami
11-12-2006, 11:39 PM
According to the EU safety regulation, every TS blade must stop rotating within 10 seconds or less.
My TS, German made, stops in about 7 seconds and the instruction manual calls for adjusting the belt tension if it is more than 10 seconds.

I have 3 CS’s bought in Japan (Makita, Ryobi and one Made in China) and all the 3 have brake that stops the blade in less then 1-second. I assume that it’s the Japanese law, maybe Stu in Tokyo can tell us.

niki