PDA

View Full Version : From the scrap bin............

Richard Jones
11-12-2006, 7:01 PM
I wasn’t able to get a good picture of this one, as my youngest daughter grabbed it as soon as she saw it.

From the scrap bin, maple, with a bit of a bark inclusion…………:D

About 9” diameter, 5/8” thick. This is my first one of anything with some bark on it, much less a huge crack like this, and it was sort of scary, but, I think, worth the effort. She liked it, anyway………..

DO, Bealed, carnauba wax finish.

Thanks for looking, and thanks to all on SMC whom I learn from, and let me tell you, the list is L-O-N-G……………….. :)

Rich

http://photos.imageevent.com/richinva/turning/platesplatters/websize/maple%20with%20bark%20face.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/richinva/turning/platesplatters/websize/maple%20with%20bark%20bottom.jpg

Christopher Hunter
11-12-2006, 7:27 PM
Wow, if that was in your scrap pile, I'd love to see your good pile--
Great looking piece --

Jim Ketron
11-12-2006, 7:30 PM
Beautiful piece Richard!

Kurt Rosenzweig
11-12-2006, 8:20 PM
I'm kinda getting sick and tired of your guy's scrap piles! I'm gonna make a one time offer to haul your's and Travis's scraps away for free! Better yet why don't you guys just stick your sawdust and shaving in a flat rate box and send it to me C.O.D. and I'll take it from there! :D Beautiful piece Rich! Keep them coming!

Fred LeBail
11-12-2006, 8:33 PM
Very nice piece, love the grain. Must have been hairy turning that.

Tom Sherman
11-12-2006, 9:19 PM
Nice looking Platter Rich.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-12-2006, 9:26 PM
Excellent work and piece Rich! Yup....the first time I turned something with a hole in it.....I just kept waiting for the "catch of all catches" to happen! Scary......in your case well worth the effort!

Bernie Weishapl
11-12-2006, 11:30 PM
Great looking piece Richard. It is amazing what comes out of the scrap heap. Nice job.

Dario Octaviano
11-12-2006, 11:55 PM
That's pretty.

I agree, your scrap piles are just full of treasure pieces. Me, I squeeze it as much as I can...down to half pen blank size :D. Still some guys hit me for my scraps!!! :eek:

Mark Cothren
11-13-2006, 7:23 AM
What a great piece of wood - and nicely showed off!!! Congrats!

Mark Pruitt
11-13-2006, 7:52 AM
Yeah, I can understand how it might have been "sort of scary" with that bark inclusion turning at ??? RPMs and you presenting a sharp gouge to it...:eek: ......but ain't it nice when it turns out like that!:D Excellent job!

Keith Burns
11-13-2006, 7:54 AM
Totally awesom piece of "scrap" Richard, great job:) :)