PDA

View Full Version : Raised Panel Bits

Duan Packard
11-12-2006, 6:54 PM
Next step in my current project will be raised panel doors.
I am looking at raised panel bits ie Frued, CMT, Amama, etc.
Asking for recommendations.
Also will doing this in ash and will be 3/4 inch thick, both the rail/stile and panel so I will also need the panel bit to have an undercutter I think.
Also do I need the "mini" sets? I am confused by the descriptions.
Will be using a router table with the M12V.

Please freel free to add comments and suggestions. This will be my first attempt.

Thanks

Duan

scott spencer
11-12-2006, 7:01 PM
All 3 names you mentioned have a good reputation for high quality bits...you might even want to add Whiteside or Eagle America to the list too.

Of those mentioned, I've only used the Freud, and it did an excellent job. It has the advantage of the 2+2 cutters.

glenn bradley
11-12-2006, 7:03 PM
Don't know aout the minis unless they're referring to the sets made for small scale doors for jewelry cabinets, etc. These allow pieces of this size to have the full blown rail and stile type doors. I started with a set from Woodcraft, on sale for about $80. The quality is good and it let me get my feet wet without paying more. The brands you mention will be more pricey and of a generally higher quality. If you're going to do a couple to see how you like it, I'd start cheap. If you're commited to 24 doors or so to start, I'd go quality. I prefer the matched sets (R&S) to the stacked sets but, if I had a precise router lift I might go stacked.

Allen Bookout
11-12-2006, 7:16 PM
I use a lot of Infinity bits and they are first class. Here is the set with the undercutter:

http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1294

I have the Katana raised cabined door set with undercuter from MLCS and have been happy with it.

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/katset1.htm#katana_raised_panel_door_set_anchor

Also, if you have not done raised panel doors before, I think that the video from MLCS is very good. Made my first attempt go very smooth. I think that they used the stack set for the demo but a lot of the stuff applies.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/video.html

Dave Bureau
11-12-2006, 7:24 PM
I use the somerfeld matched sets. they were perfect.

Jim Becker
11-12-2006, 7:26 PM
I happen to like the Freud 2+2 designs for extra clean cutting. I don't use raised panel bits much, but when I do, it's the Freud.

Allen Bookout
11-12-2006, 7:37 PM
Confused yet?

Unlike some things, I personally think that if you pick from any of the major quality brands that you cannot go wrong. Price might be the driving factor.

Mack Cameron
11-12-2006, 9:08 PM
Next step in my current project will be raised panel doors. [quote]so I will also need the panel bit to have an undercutter instead buy a good rabbetting set to do the back cuttting. The raised panel bits with back cutters are way too expensive and allow you no flexibility in your back cut. With a rabbetting set you can set the back cut to your specs.

Ted Miller
11-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Duan, As Mike said, 2+2 from Freud I like very much, CMT are very high quality as well, but when a show comes around I load up on Freud since they offer very good deals at show time, when it comes to bits, you get exactly what you pay for...

John Keane
11-12-2006, 10:44 PM
I have a MLCS Katana bit set that I am very happy with. MLCSWOODWORKING.COM

Dick Bringhurst
11-12-2006, 10:55 PM
I use Amana bits and like them, but any of the bits you listed will do as good job. I too feel a rabbeting bit is better for the back cut. Dick B.

John Gornall
11-12-2006, 10:59 PM
I have only used the freud and it has done a fine job for me.

A couple of details about the Freud:

comes with spacers so you can adjust the tongue thickness of the panel

doesn't have a bearing, just a slipery coating on the shaft which results in a deeper cut - a full 1 1/2 inches with a bit 3 1/2 inches in diameter

the back cutter can be changed for different shapes or removed

This might be interesting: http://www.justfreud.com/RPD%20Instructions.pdf

Laurie Brown
11-12-2006, 11:27 PM
I bought two sets of CMT bits for this purpose when they went on sale at Woodcraft. They don't have backcutters, but I've found it easy to use a straight bit to cut a small channel around the back of the panel and they fit like a glove.