PDA

View Full Version : Robinair Vacuum Pump

Ed Scolforo
11-12-2006, 2:50 PM
Does anyone have experience with the Robinair Vaccumaster 15600 vacuum pump? It's a 6 CFM 1/2 hp rotary vane, not oilless. It runs on 110 and comes with cord and switch. I'm looking for pros or cons in using it for a lathe vacuum system. Thanks, Ed

CJ Courtney
11-12-2006, 9:42 PM
Its mainly used for doing HVAC work,but I use mine for my vaccum bag.You will have to put a switch on it so it will cycle on and off.I have mine to shut off a 27" of vaccum,comes back on at 15" of vaccum. Good luck with it.

Bill Turpin
11-12-2006, 10:51 PM
Your pump is certainly capable of pulling a low vacuum. It is best to use vacuum pump oil, not cheap at $9/qt, several years ago. Regular oil and the moisture that any oil will absorb will have a vapor pressure. This VP will subtract(counter-react) from the lowness of the vacuum that you can pull. The moisture will corrode pump parts. Refrigeration mechanics should always change their oil after a pump down to protect the pump. Refrig people are after water vapor and small amounts of liquid water that are contaminants in freon systems. The large amounts of LIQUID water in bowl blanks will probably cause havoc. I suggest some kind of a water filter/trap that is emptied very frequently. If you are considering buying this pump your money is better spent for an oil-less. If you already own it, go ahead with the knowledge that you may ruin it. :)

Bill in WNC mountains
NC Refrigeration License #2821