PDA

View Full Version : Question for Pen Turners

Curt Fuller
11-12-2006, 1:29 PM
Is there any way to take a pen apart once the pieces have been pressed into the tubes? I screwed up and put a trim ring on backwards.

Dario Octaviano
11-12-2006, 1:37 PM
Yes,

Most use the HF transfer punch set...cheap and very effective. You will need choose the right size and use it with a mallet.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3577

Barry Stratton
11-12-2006, 1:39 PM
I've had good luck using an old drill bit (upside down) that barely fits in the tube and tapping it with a hammer. Of course, you could spend big bucks and buy a "disassembly kit".............paying attention to the progress to avoid the piece flying out, bouncing around, and ending up UNDER he chest freezer.....DAMHIKT:D

George Summers
11-12-2006, 6:48 PM
I honestly have not found a way to do this AND save the pen blank. To drive out the fittings, you have to clamp the pen blank and there is no way to clamp it without damaging the blank. If you just want to recover the fittings, the HF transfer punch set at $3-$4 on sale is the way to go.

George

Bob Noles
11-12-2006, 7:16 PM
I honestly have not found a way to do this AND save the pen blank. To drive out the fittings, you have to clamp the pen blank and there is no way to clamp it without damaging the blank. If you just want to recover the fittings, the HF transfer punch set at $3-$4 on sale is the way to go.

George

George,

If you wrap some rubber bands around the pen blank you can get a good hand grip on it and clamping is not necessary.

Dario Octaviano
11-12-2006, 11:25 PM
George,

If you wrap some rubber bands around the pen blank you can get a good hand grip on it and clamping is not necessary.

I agree! I personally never lost a blank this way though I've only had to disassemble a few.

Wrap blank with rubberband.
Make sure hand holding the blank doesn't have a ring.
Insert proper sized punch in hole.
Wack punch (not hand) with a wooden mallet.

Most will just take 1-3 hits.

Curt Fuller
11-13-2006, 12:01 AM
Thanks everyone. I have some ideas to try now. I hope to save the wood and the pen workings.

Frank Fusco
11-13-2006, 7:18 AM

George

90% of dissassemblies can be done holding the blank in the hand. It take repeated taps on the end of the transfer punch but it works. Removing the transmission a twist pen can be more difficult. I place the blank on top of a vice with the transmission between the jaws (but not tightened) then tap. I guess I'm using the vice like an anvil with that process.
BTW, I've never seen the HF punch set that cheap. Usually about $15.00 on sale, $20.00 regular.

Joe Melton
11-13-2006, 11:29 AM
I haven't tried rubber bands; I use some rubber drawer liner.
Enco (use-enco.com)also sells the transfer punches, probably the same kit as that from Harbor Freight. I've saved a lot of pens with them.
To get a transmission out, first drill a hole about the same diameter as the transmission in a small board. Then cut the board in half, through the hole. Put a steel washer over the transmission and clamp the transmission between the board halves in a vise such that the pen half is pointing up. Now you can use a pair of screwdrivers to prise under the washer to lift the pen half and slide it off the transmission.
Drilling the hole in the wood gives a more secure grip on the transmission and also allows you to grip it without damaging it, so you can reuse it.
Hope this makes sense!
Joe

Frank Fusco
11-13-2006, 12:46 PM
I haven't tried rubber bands; I use some rubber drawer liner.
Enco (use-enco.com)also sells the transfer punches, probably the same kit as that from Harbor Freight. I've saved a lot of pens with them.
To get a transmission out, first drill a hole about the same diameter as the transmission in a small board. Then cut the board in half, through the hole. Put a steel washer over the transmission and clamp the transmission between the board halves in a vise such that the pen half is pointing up. Now you can use a pair of screwdrivers to prise under the washer to lift the pen half and slide it off the transmission.
Drilling the hole in the wood gives a more secure grip on the transmission and also allows you to grip it without damaging it, so you can reuse it.
Hope this makes sense!
Joe

Aren't we a clever bunch here? :D I prefer just using a bigger hammer. :eek: ;) Actually, a good tip.

Bob Hallowell
11-13-2006, 7:19 PM
Frank,
What part do you remove first? the transmission or the tip. and how? don't they get in each others way?

Bob

Dario Octaviano
11-13-2006, 7:37 PM
Frank,
What part do you remove first? the transmission or the tip. and how? don't they get in each others way?

Bob

I am not Frank but but...

Depends on the kit. On most, you can remove the refill on the tranny and put a punch through the hole to take out the nib end. The Tranny will be last in this case.

Frank Fusco
11-13-2006, 8:18 PM
Frank,

Bob

Tip first with a small punch. Then transmission after I locate my big hammer.

Myrel Willeford
11-14-2006, 4:51 AM
I use the HF center finder set. I drill a hole in a block of wood larger then the pen tip but smaller than the body and press it out using a clamp or vise. You can use leather to pad the hole in the wood block if you want.

George Summers
11-14-2006, 9:18 AM
90% of dissassemblies can be done holding the blank in the hand. It take repeated taps on the end of the transfer punch but it works. Removing the transmission a twist pen can be more difficult. I place the blank on top of a vice with the transmission between the jaws (but not tightened) then tap. I guess I'm using the vice like an anvil with that process.
BTW, I've never seen the HF punch set that cheap. Usually about $15.00 on sale, $20.00 regular.

This is the set I am talking about. It ocassionally goes on sale at the retail stores for something like $3.99

George

Frank Fusco
11-14-2006, 10:51 AM
This is the set I am talking about. It ocassionally goes on sale at the retail stores for something like $3.99

George

Thanks for ruining my day. ;) I paid $19.99 for same set at the HF store in Little Rock, Arkansas. :mad: