PDA

View Full Version : Wilke reveiw

Michael Handrinos
11-12-2006, 1:16 PM
Hi all.

Went to Wilke yesterday before the woodworking show in York. My friend and I spent about two hours talking to Curtis and Tom while touring their facility. I have to say I was very impressed with the quailty tof the tools and customer service there. We recieved a overveiw of the whole operation up to and including going through the warehouse and shop. They also have a fully equiped machine shop.

I'm glad they're close enough to visit and get the chance to actually check out the machinery in person. I've purchased a jointer last week and am now looking at a Bridgewood table saw. There were a few saws with the tops removed, side by side so you could get a good look at the works inside. Real eye opener! I was surprised at the difference in overall quality, fit and finish plus mass of the trunions of what are considered the better named saws. All in all, a very worth while trip which we will be making again soon.

I am no way affiliated with Wilke. Only wanting to relay a positive experence I've had dealing with them.

Mike

Luther Oswalt
11-12-2006, 2:46 PM
Mike the saw display you mentioned is quite interesting ... and I was also impressed with the whole operation when I was there a few months ago.
Leo

Ken Garlock
11-12-2006, 7:00 PM
Hi Michael. A couple years ago I bought the Bridgewood 10LTS cabinet saw. It has performed quite well for me, not a problem in any form. :cool:

You are fortunate to live close enough to pick it up and Wilke. I had to pay somewhere around $150 in shipping, iircc. :eek:

Ted Miller
11-12-2006, 10:31 PM
I live in Southern California, the shipping from Wilke is the highest than any other woodworking machinery vendor in the country to reach my shop, but I here such good things from this company and the quality seems very good...

Noah Katz
11-13-2006, 3:08 AM
"I was surprised at the difference in overall quality, fit and finish plus mass of the trunions of what are considered the better named saws. "

I'd sure like to hear what you saw (so to speak).

Thanks

Gregg Feldstone
11-13-2006, 3:23 AM
I wanted to buy a PBS 440 from Wilke but couldn't get anyone to spend more than 5 minutes on the phone with me. When I called a second time a couple weeks later on a thursday one of the salesman said "you've called before and I am busy getting ready for a big sale this weekend, so call back monday and maybe someone can help you if anything is left." The rudest tool company I have ever talked to!!

Richard McComas
11-13-2006, 3:36 AM
I live in Southern California, the shipping from Wilke is the highest than any other woodworking machinery vendor in the country to reach my shop, but I here such good things from this company and the quality seems very good...Ted, I don’t remember the specifics now but when I ordered my Bridgewood open-end wide belt sander I too thought the shipping (to Alaska) to be more that I expected.

I shopped around and found a better deal on shipping myself and made the arrangement With Wilke to have my shipper pick up the sander at Wilke. You don’t have to go Wilke’s shipping.

Brian Hale
11-13-2006, 4:21 AM
I posted a couple pics in this thread that illustrates what Micheal is taking about, re: saws with top removed....

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13579&highlight=bridgewood+powermatic

Brian, who has a shop full of Bridgewood :)

Michael Handrinos
11-13-2006, 6:44 AM
Hi guys

I can only say that I was impressed with the whole experience. Gregg, I 'm surprised at your comment. I was treated very well each time I've talked to sales and even after hours. I've called and had Curtis(company pres) answer the phone being very courteous. Noah. Check out the posted thread where there are photos of the differences between PM and BW saws. The same goes for unisaws of which I have one. Nothing wrong with the uni, but if I'd seen that before hand the BW would be in the shop.

The Yorkie jointer is first rate. Big and very heavy! Fit and finish are nicely done. Like I said before....It came in 2 days and I will be dealing with them again.

Mike

Ted Miller
11-13-2006, 11:38 AM
I shopped around and found a better deal on shipping myself and made the arrangement With Wilke to have my shipper pick up the sander at Wilke. You don’t have to go Wilke’s shipping.

Richard, Thank you, for the last 20 years I have been working at a whse in So Cal and I deal with shipping prices daily, and I checked around and so far found one freight company was $10.00 leass than the freight company Wilke uses, plus fuel is still crazy right now also I know how each freight company handles freight, and price is not always the thing to go by. For instance Griz uses Overnight, I have had more damage claims with this company than I care to mention, ABF, Central are the best for claims, Yellow, slow and could care less, the bigger the company the less they care about your freight...

John Miliunas
11-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Thanks much for the 1st hand "virtual tour", Michael. I've dealt a fair amount with Wilke and have been extremely satisfied with both, product(s) and customer service/support. :) Shipping to the Midwest was what I thought to be reasonable and the freight company they used was top notch! Great communication and all the equipment was delivered in A-1 shape. :) Also, I agree with the "surprise" comment you refer to in response to Gregg's post. I have always been tended to promptly and curteously by both, the sales and technical staff. :D No, not a rep for Wilke or otherwise affiliated with them, outside of being a very happy customer. :) :cool:

Jeffrey Makiel
11-13-2006, 12:49 PM
No, not a rep for Wilke or otherwise affiliated with them, outside of being a very happy customer. :) :cool:

John...Judging by your picture next to your name, they are probably quite happy about that! :)
-Jeff

Richard McComas
11-13-2006, 1:00 PM
Richard, Thank you, for the last 20 years I have been working at a whse in So Cal and I deal with shipping prices daily, and I checked around and so far found one freight company was $10.00 leass than the freight company Wilke uses, plus fuel is still crazy right now also I know how each freight company handles freight, and price is not always the thing to go by. For instance Griz uses Overnight, I have had more damage claims with this company than I care to mention, ABF, Central are the best for claims, Yellow, slow and could care less, the bigger the company the less they care about your freight...Perhaps my saving came from the fact that I use a company named Span-Alaska and they shipped the product by truck to Kent Washington and then by barge to Anchorage where I picked the product up at the terminal.

Products barged to Alaska are quite reasonable and thats probably where I shaved the money.

John Miliunas
11-13-2006, 1:20 PM
John...Judging by your picture next to your name, they are probably quite happy about that! :)
-Jeff

LOL! Yeah, and that's after a shave and a haircut! :D :cool:

Keith Beck
11-13-2006, 4:06 PM
Glad to hear that the vast majority have had a good experience with Wilke. Unless something changes, I'll be driving to DE next month to get my brother, then we're going to head up to York to pick-up a couple of jointers and possibly a mortiser.

Does anyone know if they'll entertain discounts for multiple tool buys?

Keith

Michael Handrinos
11-13-2006, 4:15 PM
Glad to hear that the vast majority have had a good experience with Wilke. Unless something changes, I'll be driving to DE next month to get my brother, then we're going to head up to York to pick-up a couple of jointers and possibly a mortiser.

Does anyone know if they'll entertain discounts for multiple tool buys?

Keith

Hey Keith.

When you guys come to Delaware, give me a call. We''ll grab a bite and a beer

Mike

Ted Miller
11-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Micheal, Just want to let you know I purchased the 12" york jointer today, they are having a online special the jointer with a 2 hp dust collection for $2099.00, so I did it. I will give the collector away since I use a cyclone 5 hp and Tom @ Wilke was very nice answering all my questions in the last few days and even called me "young man" over the phone.

I will let you know how it works out in 5-7 days. I finished up all the electrical in my new shop/garage and a space is all staked out for this new item...

David Rose
11-14-2006, 2:31 AM
Ted, don't let the "young man" comment hold a lot of water. I once got called an old codger by a company that gave me excellent service. :eek:

David

Micheal, Just want to let you know I purchased the 12" york jointer today, they are having a online special the jointer with a 2 hp dust collection for $2099.00, so I did it. I will give the collector away since I use a cyclone 5 hp and Tom @ Wilke was very nice answering all my questions in the last few days and even called me "young man" over the phone.

I will let you know how it works out in 5-7 days. I finished up all the electrical in my new shop/garage and a space is all staked out for this new item...

Keith Beck
11-14-2006, 8:37 AM
Hey Keith.

When you guys come to Delaware, give me a call. We''ll grab a bite and a beer

Mike

Mike,

Sounds good. Wouldn't mind checking out the jointer you picked up, up close and personal either. PM me your number and I'll definitely try to hook up if the schedule permits.

Keith

Kyle Kraft
11-14-2006, 8:57 AM
Brian,

I checked out your link to the past post comparing the trunnion size of the powermatic compared to the bridgewood(?). I went home and looked at my Jet cabinet saw and it has the desireable "four bolt mains".