PDA

View Full Version : I got a new Jointer G0490

John Hedges
11-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Well not really, I actually got a G0490 back in February, but it has always had a lot of vibration particularly on startup and shutdown, which really bothered me. I added a linkbelt but that didn't even help. The other weekend I broke it down and determined it was the pulley wheels. Since it was still under warranty Grizz sent new ones which arrived Friday (kudos to Grizz CS). After installing them and putting it all together again, it started up with nary a whisper. All detectable vibration was gone.

And then I saw it. There on the ground where I was working was a shiny nickel. Now I've never put much credence into the nickle balancing thing, but since the coin wasn't there previously I determined it must be divine intervention. So I balanced it on end on the table and started it up and that darned nickel just sat there as still as could be. Same thing when I shut down. Now mind you this is the same jointer that I couldn't have balanced a roll of nickels on before (well that might be an exageration), so needless to say I am very Happy.

The moral of the story I guess is this. If you are one of the people who also has a vibrating 490 (and I've read about many of you here and on other forums), you might break the machine down to determine if it is the pulley and get Grizz to send new ones, I suspect there was a batch produced which was not very true. All I did was remove the pulley from the motor and start it up. I noticed how smoothly it ran without the pulley. Then I installed the lower pulley alone with no belt and immediately noticed a lot of vibration. I then installed the link belt and it got a little worse.

Anyway just thought there might be other 490 owners out there who might be interested. I really love my new jointer now.

Jim Becker
11-12-2006, 1:30 PM
If you are one of the people who also has a vibrating 490 (and I've read about many of you here and on other forums), you might break the machine down to determine if it is the pulley...

Or to see if anyone left a nickle inside the machine where it doesn't belong... LOL!! :D :D :D

'Glad you found and fixed the problem! That's a very nice machine.

glenn bradley
11-12-2006, 2:20 PM
Yet another success story of diagnosing the problem and applying a fix as opposed to swearing at the machine and bringing into question the lineage of it's makers. Way to go. Enjoy.

Damien Falgoust
11-12-2006, 8:33 PM
Clearly you owe some Chinese factory worker somewhere a nickel.

Brett Baldwin
11-13-2006, 12:56 AM
Good to hear it all came out good. It would be nice if everything were perfect but then again a good troubleshoot now and then gives you the satisfaction of fixing something.

Scott Vigder
11-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Would that be a Chinese nickel??

John Hedges
11-13-2006, 12:47 PM

Poor guy probably lost a whole weeks paycheck in my jointer :p