PDA

View Full Version : Monster Miter Saw

George Sanders
11-12-2006, 10:41 AM
I went to the local flea market and found the mother of all miter saws. It's a Disston made from 1896 to 1917 with an unknown miter machine. The blade is 30" long by 6" deep with 10 tpi. Price was $15.
I traded some things for a Martin's spokeshave and a Stanley #80 scraper. Went on to buy a Consolidated Tool Works breast drill with an unknown 1 15/16 bit for $10. Found some Jennings bits for 50 cents each and a nice unmarked saw vice for $3. I paid about $6 apiece for the chisels. One 1/2 Witherby, a 1/8 Samson, 3/4 Jaxon, 1/4 Japan. All told I spent about $60.
Now to clean, sharpen and (the fun part) use everything.

Roger Bell
11-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Your miter box appears to be a Millers Falls or perhaps a Stanley....can't tell....from what is exposed in the pic. Stanley often used Disston saws in their boxes. Look on the right side of the casting for a name plate.

George Sanders
11-13-2006, 7:27 AM
Thanks Roger. I've looked all over it and cant find so much as a number on it. I looked at that infamous auction site and from the corrugations on the back I think it is a Millers Falls.

Mike Wenzloff
11-13-2006, 9:14 AM
Hi George,

It may well have been made by Goodell-Pratt. It's identical to a few I have had. GP made them for other companies, these were often without the brass tag below the front upright.

http://www.roseantiquetools.com/id75.html

Scroll down to the miter boxes.

Take care, Mike

Charles McKinley
11-14-2006, 12:09 AM
The Miller Falls baox I have only had a sticker on the back of it that has deteriorated and fallen off.

George Sanders
11-14-2006, 6:50 AM
Thank you for the link Mike. It is definitely a Goodell-Pratt, with a Disston D-4 saw. I made a few test cuts and they seem to be dead on. The box is missing the stop bar but I think I can make one now that I know what it looks like.
A friend offered me $50 for it but I turned him down. He has a lot of crown molding to install in his old farmhouse. I told him he could borrow it but I won't sell it.