PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum chucking a PM?

Kurt Rosenzweig
11-12-2006, 10:41 AM
What vacuum adapter are you using with your PM. I was all ready to order the Oneway rotary adapter this morning and thought the outboard side of the PM was threaded. After removing the hand wheel I found that it wasn't. I'll probably still order the Oneway Drum Chuck, but need a plan 2 for the adapter! Thanks in advance. Kurt

Dario Octaviano
11-12-2006, 10:47 AM
I am planning on making my own...but haven't checked the threading yet. I do have the plan in my mind already (after reading a few design/tutorials online).

Good luck!!!

Pete Jordan
11-12-2006, 11:19 AM
What vacuum adapter are you using with your PM. I was all ready to order the Oneway rotary adapter this morning and thought the outboard side of the PM was threaded. After removing the hand wheel I found that it wasn't. I'll probably still order the Oneway Drum Chuck, but need a plan 2 for the adapter! Thanks in advance. Kurt

I have the Oneway adapter but you also have to buy a taper lock for each side of the headstock.

I have had trouble on the business end of the headstock. With advice from this group I made a washer and Kevin from Oneway also suggested I CA the holes in the taper lock.

Travis Stinson
11-12-2006, 11:21 AM
I use the EZ vacuum adapter for mine, along with different sized home-made chucks. I bought some 3/8" threaded lamp rod and turned another nose piece from acrylic to use on the mini. Quick and easy to swap back and forth.

Kurt Rosenzweig
11-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Thanks Travis! That is the one I ordered!
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000002/111210-img.jpg

Martin Braun
11-12-2006, 11:43 AM
I made my own setup with one of the diy instructions off the net. It has served me well so far. As I have been cruising through some of the "Artists on the web!" pages, I've noticed some folks have come up with even better designs. I just couldn't justify spending all the $ on the Oneway stuff.

Dario Octaviano
11-12-2006, 11:49 AM
I made my own setup with one of the diy instructions off the net. It has served me well so far. As I have been cruising through some of the "Artists on the web!" pages, I've noticed some folks have come up with even better designs. I just couldn't justify spending all the $ on the Oneway stuff.

Martin,

My thoughts exactly (money being tight). If you don't mind me asking, which design did you choose?

Hope this doesn't constitute a hijack.

Kurt Rosenzweig
11-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Not a problem Dario! Just send me some Texas blackwood and we'll call it even!:D Seriously though. Thats what this site is for! No such thing as a highjack! Also if anyone is interested Packard has the best price on the EZ adaptor I posted above. Also the cheapest shipping!

Mark Cothren
11-13-2006, 7:24 AM
That's the one I use also, Kurt.

Brian Malnar
11-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Hold fast products makes one as well and Packard woodworks carries it as well. I made one myself similar to the EZ system using UHMW plastic and it works really good as well.

Brian

Martin Braun
11-13-2006, 8:56 PM
The one I did was based verbatim on http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/smvachuck.pdf

However, some of the variations I have seen on the idea was to skip the PVC adaptor & make a similar piece out of wood & fit that directly to the left side of the head stock spindle. The above method works well for me and any leaks do not impact performance.

A great tip that I picked up from Paul Porter, is to use the Foamies adhesive backed dense foam sheets to line the vacuum chuck. Very cheap, very effective. That's all I know :)