PDA

View Full Version : Spring Pole lathe

Paul Lueders
11-12-2006, 7:32 AM
Does anyone have plans and drawings to build an early 1800's spring pole lathe? You can email me at claypipe@hughes.net Thanks, Paul

Frank Fusco
11-12-2006, 7:44 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if one of Roy Underhill's book didn't have a plan. Check out the Fox Fire series.
You might have better luck with this question in the Neanderthal forum.

Jim Becker
11-12-2006, 9:48 AM
I am going to put a copy of this thread in the Neander Forum for added exposure...pole-lathes, while certainily about turning, tend to be something that the Neander-focused folks are more familiar with.

Jim
SMC Moderator

George Sanders
11-12-2006, 10:57 AM
You can go to this site: www.uncpress.unc.edu to find any of Underhill's books. They are listed by title and content. Cornishworkshop.co.uk may have some info on the subject.

John Goodridge
11-12-2006, 1:53 PM
This post references the same question.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11620

It references this link which has some details.

http://www.bloodandsawdust.com/sca/lathes2.html

Phil Gwinn
11-13-2006, 1:26 AM
Inside Johns second link is this one http://www.bloodandsawdust.com/sca/lathes4.html that talks about springpoless. I was facinated by it all and barely remembered to come up for air.

Art Mulder
11-13-2006, 7:03 AM
I've seen ones (on the Canadian woodworking forum) that use bungee cord instead of a spring pole, which seems to simplify the construction quite a bit. Pop over there and do a search for Darrell LaRue.

John Timberlake
11-13-2006, 8:50 AM
I saw Roy Underhill demonstrating the spring pole lathe at the Colonial Williamburg chair conference last January. He sent me the plans. Paul, I sent them to you via email.

Michael Fross
11-13-2006, 9:26 AM
I saw Roy Underhill demonstrating the spring pole lathe at the Colonial Williamburg chair conference last January. He sent me the plans. Paul, I sent them to you via email.
I'd love to see them as well. Can they be shared publicly here?

Michael

Dave Anderson NH
11-13-2006, 11:51 AM
Plans can be freely shared here online with a couple of caveats. First, even if the plans are not copyrighted it is good form to ask the person who originated them for permission. Second point is that plans with a copyright require the permission of the copyright holder to protect BOTH SMC and the person posting the plans from lawsuits.

Scott Quesnelle
11-16-2006, 11:12 PM
I would highly recommend you do a quick search for pole lathe bodger

This will get you a good link to the bodger's association in the UK. They are a group dedicated to green woodworking and pole lathe work.

The plans off their site are quite good. Pole lathing can be great fun.

Scott

Eddie Darby
11-17-2006, 1:56 PM
I've seen wayback a Roy Underhill show were he made a lathe with a bow on the top of the lathe, that had a spool on it with 4 holes through the center. The bow had 4 wound cords on it that went through the 4 holes in the spool. A rope went around the spool and then around the object being turned on the lathe, and then down to a foot pedal that powered it. The lathe ran very nicely.