PDA

View Full Version : Help p leases - 5/8" shaft; 1/2" chuck

Alan Turner
11-12-2006, 5:07 AM
I bought a 1-3/8" tenon cutter, which I planned to use on the legs of a large hearth bench, but the shaft came it at 5/8", although that was not stated in the product description. Is there any way I can make this work using a 1/2" drill press chuck? I was thinking that a holder of some sort that would take the shaft, but itself have a 1/2" shank, would work. I looked at McMaster-Carr, but didn't see one, although I don't know what such a holder might be called.

Ideas would be much appreciated.

TIA

John Renzetti
11-12-2006, 5:24 AM
hi Alan, Will the cutter fit in your horizontal boring machine. That might work. If not we can try it my my horizontal mortiser. I know it has a 16mm chuck. If my machine will work and you have no other easy choices you are welcome to bring the pieces to my place and use my mortiser. I have a VFD installed so the rpm's can be brought down low enough for this large cutter.
talk to you later,
John

Alan Turner
11-12-2006, 6:26 AM
John,
Since there is only one of these, I might take you up on that offer. Thanks so much! I need to create round tenons on 4 legs, 2.25" sq., white oak.

Robert Mickley
11-12-2006, 9:51 AM
Long term solution, get a piece of 1 1/4 inch bar stock HAve a machine shop turn one end down to 1/2 inch and bore a 5/8 hole in the other end. A couple of set screws and away you go.

Or just get a larger chuck for the drill press. Most of them ore morse tapered in

Andy Hoyt
11-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Whaaa? No one has a lathe in PA?

George Summers
11-12-2006, 6:44 PM
Any local small machine shop should be able to turn the shaft down to ½" for you, for next to nothing.

George

John Renzetti
11-13-2006, 8:26 AM
John,
Since there is only one of these, I might take you up on that offer. Thanks so much! I need to create round tenons on 4 legs, 2.25" sq., white oak.

Hi Alan, I'm flexible today and tomorrow all day. Wednesday and Thursday evenings will work also. If you can come down then you can get a dinner also. A good dinner if my wife is not flying. Spagetti and meatballs if just I'm there with the kids. :)
take care,
John

Alan Turner
11-14-2006, 12:06 AM
Well, I am going to pull the trigger on a 5/8" chuck. MSC was quite helpful on the techinical aspects of the changeover.

Thanks to all, esp. John, for the advice and offers.

Dan Cameron
11-14-2006, 12:26 PM
Alan
Take a look at item 43555A25 at mcmaster.com

John Renzetti
11-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Well, I am going to pull the trigger on a 5/8" chuck. MSC was quite helpful on the techinical aspects of the changeover.

Thanks to all, esp. John, for the advice and offers.

Hi Alan, The thought of the possibility of getting stuck with my cooking instead of my French born wife's cuisine scared you enough that it was better to spend a few hundred on big Jacobs chuck? :) I'll remember that.
If something unexpected occurs and you still need the mortiser just let me know. Plus we can always go to La Tolteca.
take care,
John