PDA

View Full Version : A bandsaw box as a homage to Kintaro Yazawa

Tony Ward
11-12-2006, 3:13 AM
My question is how many members and guest of this Forum are aware of the unique woodworking joints of the master craftsman Kintaro Yazawa. Some of his work can be found at http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~k-yazawa/english.html (http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/%7Ek-yazawa/english.html)

In addition to box and furniture making Master Kintaro also does scupltural work. One piece that impressed me was a six foot tall pyramid shaped work.

This four drawer bandsawn box is dedicated to craftsmanship and beauty of his work, inspired by the pyramid shaped work. This work is about 30cm tall, of Australian Red Cedar, with four "push through drawers" which are secured by four keys that can be seen in place in the second image.

Thank you Master Kintaro for the inspiration.

John Renzetti
11-12-2006, 5:38 AM
Hi Tony, that is a beautifully made box and design. I'd say that is inspirational also. Did you use the urishi type lacquer finish that Master Kintawa uses.
I got a quick look at the website and book marked it for later reference. His work is stunning.
Unfortunately, I have a trip this early Sunday morning. I guess that's why I'm posting on SMC at 0530EST or 1030GMT. What time is it in Australia.
take care,
John

Jim Becker
11-12-2006, 9:44 AM
I agree with John...that's a really beautiful and wonderful box.

John Schreiber
11-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Very nice box.

The link to Kintaro Yazawa's work is great. Clicking on the "Original Joint Work" button shows some things which are some combination of impossible, incredible and confusing.

It says he uses all solid wood, otherwise I would have to think that some of those things which look like dovetails are really an inlay. The "paper thickness" box joints look more like magic than woodwork.

Very inspiring. It's work that has many levels of appeal.

Gary Keedwell
11-12-2006, 11:57 AM
LOL I've come full circle. What a coincidence, I just came from that site from a link on another forum and linked onto your site, too. By the way, very inspirational!!!

There is so much talent out there and this internet thing brings it into my humble home. What an age we live in!!!

Gary K.

Corey Hallagan
11-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Beautiful work and a cool design. Thanks for sharing.

Corey

Tony Ward
11-12-2006, 6:40 PM
Thank you for the nice compliments. The box is finished with a blend of oils, the base oil is Tung Oil.

Mark Singer
11-12-2006, 8:12 PM
Excellent and unique!

Walt Caza
11-12-2006, 8:15 PM
Hi Tony,
Nice work, a complete departure from the known !!
Great project, nice homage, and I must confess I am still puzzling
out how you cut the drawers...

Thanks for posting pics,
Walt

ps truly thinking 'outside the box'
:)

Glen Blanchard
11-12-2006, 8:18 PM
That is really cool. Stunning architecture. Very unlike the typical bandsaw box. Very well done indeed!!

Tony Ward
11-12-2006, 9:06 PM
Hi Tony,
Nice work, a complete departure from the known !!
Great project, nice homage, and I must confess I am still puzzling
out how you cut the drawers...

Thanks for posting pics,
Walt

ps truly thinking 'outside the box'
:)
Walt

There are a number of sites, including my own, which explain the procedures for bandsawn box making, essentially it is a matter of bandsawing a section from the back of the box blank, bandsawing the drawer blanks, and then gluing the back to the box.

You are most welcomed to use the bandsawn box making information from my site ~ www.tonyward.org (http://www.tonyward.org)

Phil Gwinn
11-12-2006, 11:44 PM
Excellent pyramid box and links to the craftsmen of Japan. I remember when I was stationed there that I would tour places and marvel at a lot of the crafts of all sorts.

Thanks again.

John Fry
11-13-2006, 12:02 AM
It is absolutely gorgeous and inspiring too.

You da Man Tony! I always enjoy your work.