PDA

View Full Version : First Post and Hollow Form

Rich Anema
11-11-2006, 11:27 PM
I'm a little nervous and please forgive any goof ups that I make. Have been lurking for a long time and finally got up the guts to post so here is my first hallow form for your critique. Please let me know how the form and finish and photo are. It is elm and 6" x 3".

Bernie Weishapl
11-11-2006, 11:51 PM
Rich first off welcome to Creek. Don't worry about being nervous. There are a lot of good people and lots of knowledge here. Your HF looks pretty good. What finish did you use on it?

Jim Ketron
11-11-2006, 11:52 PM
Welcome to the Creek Rich!
Very Nice first Hollow Form!
Mr. Ellsworth would be proud.
The form and finish looks great, I tend to like a smaller foot on this style of HF but thats just a matter of opinion. Overall a great turning!
can't wait to see more of your work!

Tom Sherman
11-12-2006, 12:05 AM
I agree Rich, welcome to the Creek. Nice looking HF

Mark Cothren
11-12-2006, 12:18 AM
Welcome Rich!

Steve Schlumpf
11-12-2006, 12:59 AM
Welcome Rich! I like your hollow form. How do you like working with elm? I've only worked with elm once and remember it being harder than nails. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Christopher Hunter
11-12-2006, 1:09 AM
Outstanding HF,
I just made my first HF also, and am waiting for all the coats of finish to go on...
Great job !!!!
no need to feel out of place here....
I have only been with the creak for a week and have had great response---
I would recommend this to anyone who is new to turning !!!!
--Chris

Lee DeRaud
11-12-2006, 1:15 AM
Please let me know how the form and finish and photo are.Piece looks very nice, photo so-so.

Best bet is a finished size about 600-700 pixels in the largest direction with as little compression as you can get away with (to get under the 107K size limit). This one is over 1400x2200, but the compression required at that size kills a lot of fine detail.

Liem Tran
11-12-2006, 1:33 AM
Welcome to the forum Rich! You will like it here. There's a wealth of information and lots of great people to share ideas with.

Rich Anema
11-12-2006, 8:05 AM
Wow, thanks for all your replys. Bernie the finish is lacquer which was then polished with fine steel wool. The photo is still a little bit of a mystery to me so I will work on it some more. Great advice. Thanks.

Mark Pruitt
11-12-2006, 8:15 AM
Welcome, Rich! Very nice job. I tend to agree with Jim's comment about the foot, but like he said that's a matter of opinion. As for the photo compression thing, I'm clueless. I tend to use the highest number of pixels and reduce the size. That sounds like the opposite of what Lee suggested, and if it is then I possibly need to change the way I'm doing pictures. Anyway, welcome to SMC. I look forward to seeing more of your turnings!

David Fried
11-12-2006, 8:17 AM
Very nice Rich!

Being a HF puts you in the upper echalon! The color, grain, and finish on this piece give it a very warm feel. Very nice - keep posting!

Dave Fried

Kurt Rosenzweig
11-12-2006, 8:58 AM
Nice job Rich! I'm gonna agree with Jim that a smaller foot would help ,but it's still a nice piece and would be proud to own it. Did you use a steady rest to complete this piece?

Jim Becker
11-12-2006, 9:51 AM
Very nice job, Rich...and welcome to the 'Creek!

Lee DeRaud
11-12-2006, 10:06 AM
As for the photo compression thing, I'm clueless. I tend to use the highest number of pixels and reduce the size. That sounds like the opposite of what Lee suggested, and if it is then I possibly need to change the way I'm doing pictures.Nope, that's what I said (or was trying to say). You can (and probably should) shoot the picture at the highest resolution your camera supports. To get under the 107K forum limit, you have to do one of two things: either make the picture smaller or compress it. The compression reduces the quality, resulting in pixellation and compression artifacts. Resizing the image, in most good image software, results in a much better picture...usually better than the camera will produce if you just take the picture at a lower resolution. And of course the first step in size reduction is to crop the picture as tightly as possible.

There's also the benefit to the viewer of not having to scroll around to see everything.

Pete Jordan
11-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Wecome Rich!

A Great group of people

Corey Hallagan
11-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Welcome Rich and great piece!

Corey

Travis Stinson
11-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Welcome aboard Rich! Really nice turning, look forward to seeing many more from you. :cool: