PDA

View Full Version : Oiling cutting board

Lynn Sonier
10-28-2003, 6:25 PM
Okay, okay, I know its been asked before, and answered before, but what oils are food safe on chopping boards? I searched the archives but couldn't find it. The only oil I can find in our rather small town is boiled linseed oil. Is this safe?
Ah 'preciate it!
Lynn

Jason Roehl
10-28-2003, 6:38 PM
Couple options based on what I was told when I asked this question nigh on a year ago.

1. Walnut oil--I've never seen it, but I've never looked, either
2. Salad bowl finish (Behlen's?--haven't seen this one, either)
3. Mineral oil--aka "Intestinal Lubricant", if you know what I mean, it's found in the drug aisle of the supermarket. Some say it works best if warmed and mixed with a little paraffin wax then applied warm. I suppose that depends on what you are applying it to, and how often you mind applying it.

Those are the ones I know of. Others will probably chime in with more. I would recommend AGAINST vegetable oil (turns rancid) and peanut oil (possible allergic reactions for some, but that is unknown--I wouldn't risk it)

Doug Jones
10-28-2003, 6:40 PM
Mineral Oil,, local drug or grocery store. Other oils will turn rancid and that is a bad thing.
Good luck

Steve Clardy
10-28-2003, 6:45 PM
Mineral oil from the drugstore. Warm it up in a pan of hot water, not directly on the stove. Give it about three soakings, wiping it off with a cloth. Wait about two days between coats. Be sure to do top and bottom and all sides. Steve

Dave Avery
10-28-2003, 7:38 PM
Lynn,

Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO) is definitely NOT safe. Jason has the right answers. I've tried plain mineral oil with OK results. Dave.

Kent Cori
10-28-2003, 8:39 PM
Lynn,

I use walnut oil on all my cutting boards and food bowls. It seems to look a little better to me than mineral oil after a few days. You can find it for a very reasonable price in many health food stores because it is often used directly on salads. Now that's food safe! :p

Barbara Gill
10-29-2003, 10:45 AM
Okay, okay, I know its been asked before, and answered before, but what oils are food safe on chopping boards? I searched the archives but couldn't find it. The only oil I can find in our rather small town is boiled linseed oil. Is this safe?
Ah 'preciate it!
Lynn

Why use any? I have found that nothing is best for cutting boards which are actually used for serious kitchen cutting. In fact every once in awhile I scrape my cutting boards with a knife. This brings back the fresh bright surface of the wood. If the board is one of these decorative jobs with woods like walnut, etc. then probably it is best used for cutting bread. Woods like maple and sycamore were traditionally used for cutting boards because they can hold up to the intended use.

PeterTorresani
10-29-2003, 1:55 PM
Lynn,

I use walnut oil on all my cutting boards and food bowls. It seems to look a little better to me than mineral oil after a few days. You can find it for a very reasonable price in many health food stores because it is often used directly on salads. Now that's food safe! :p

:eek: Walnut oil (as well as other nut oils) is highly allergenic to a small number of people. SUPPOSEDLY, even the small amounts that come off of a cutting board can cause serious problems to people with this allergy. Slight risk, but worth knowing about

Lynn Sonier
10-29-2003, 5:49 PM
Many, many thanks for your kind responses.
Lynn

Howard Acheson
10-30-2003, 2:55 PM
While boiled linseed is is non-toxic when fully cured, it has an odor that many would not like.

Most boards are best treated with mineral oil or a mixture of mineral oil and paraffin. Heat the mineral oil in a double boiler and shave in the paraffin. About an 8-10 parts of mineral oil to one part paraffin is fine.
Apply a heavy coating of the mixture to the board and let it sit overnight. Next day, do it again and let it sit for 12 hours. Lightly scrape off any excess and buff with a soft cloth if you want. Re-treat whenever the board looks dry.

The oil/paraffin treatment will last much longer than mineral oil alone. Of course, never put the board in the dishwasher or soak in dishwater.

I would avoid any vegetable or nut oil. All can get rancid and, as has been noted, some are allergic to nuts.

Don Farr
10-30-2003, 3:04 PM
Lynn, I use mineral oil on my boards and it works fine for me. i don't warm it but it sounds like a good idea. I apply several heavy coats and allow it to dry for several hours between coats. Reapply as needed. After several washings you will see the wood drying out.

Jay Knoll
10-30-2003, 4:15 PM
Lynn

I bought (! lol) a board awhile ago at a craft fair. The owner said, use mineral oil on the board, coat it once a day for 7 days, then once a week for a month, then once a year thereafter! Don't know if it was overkill, but mineral oil is cheap, and the board is still going strong 20 years later.

I echo the comment about scraping, every once in awhile if the knife cuts are too bad, I run a scraper across the board, and refresh the coating with a few more frequent oilings

Mark Angle
03-05-2004, 1:14 AM
:eek: Walnut oil (as well as other nut oils) is highly allergenic to a small number of people. SUPPOSEDLY, even the small amounts that come off of a cutting board can cause serious problems to people with this allergy. Slight risk, but worth knowing about

Thanks for the above post. My wife is so allergic to walnuts that even a slight taste and then spitting out (she was told they were pecans) was enough to throw her into a severe reaction.

Aaron Heck
03-05-2004, 9:38 AM
I've used this stuff called Preserve. It's a mixture of various nut oils. I've been really pleased with it.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/l_finishingproducts.htm

Aaron