PDA

View Full Version : I made a Dave Knipfer box!

Glen Blanchard
11-11-2006, 9:55 PM
For those of you who do not know Dave Knipfer, he is a box maker extraordinaire. His talents and sense of the aesthetic are awesome. Drawing inspiration from him, I just today finished a box similar to those that Dave builds. This project helped me appreciate the detail that Dave puts in his boxes. His work is awesome. Thanks Dave for the karma.

And BTW, for those of you who followed my thread about product photography, I have tried a new background here with this photo - and I prefer it to both the black background and the abstract I used before. I could use to play around with the lighting a bit more to eliminate some of the shadows perhaps, but to my eye I have gotten pretty close to achieving my goal.

http://smilesrus.com/woodworking4/IMG_3303.jpg

Jim Becker
11-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Wow! That's beautiful!! Nice!!

And your background is...in the background. As it should be. Excellent photo.

Roy Wall
11-11-2006, 10:41 PM
Beautiful Glen,

Quilted Maple? and what else? Dimensions?

Super Job!!

Glen Blanchard
11-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Beautiful Glen,

Quilted Maple? and what else? Dimensions?

Super Job!!

Thanks Roy. The carcass and drawer pulls are curly maple, the drawer fronts are bubinga while the legs are jatoba. The carcass is 9 5/16" tall x 6" wide x 6" deep. The legs raise the box up by 4". Thanks for looking.

Ted Calver
11-11-2006, 10:53 PM
Glen,
Very nice piece... and I think this background sets it off better than the first ones you tried.

Nancy Laird
11-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Beautiful box!!!! And GREAT picture!
Nancy

Rick de Roque
11-12-2006, 12:14 AM
Great looking box. The photography looks great also. How did you attach the box to the legs? Are those dowels ?
Thanks,
Rick

Glen Blanchard
11-12-2006, 12:18 AM
Great looking box. The photography looks great also. How did you attach the box to the legs? Are those dowels ?
Thanks,
Rick

Thanks Rick. Yes, cherry dowels holding the legs off the box by about 1/8".

Jason Tuinstra
11-12-2006, 2:58 AM
Glen, very, very nice. I like it a lot. I followed the photography thread a bit, and I agree that this is the best pic yet. Good job all the way around.

John Renzetti
11-12-2006, 5:41 AM
hi Glen, Beautiful work. I see nothing wrong with the way you photographed it. All the detail came out. You should send the picture to Fine Homebuilding to be included in the Reader's Work section.
take care,
John

Jim Guy
11-12-2006, 7:24 AM
I agree with John. Send that pic to FWW. Beautiful!