PDA

View Full Version : lathe variable speed

CORY FETZER
11-11-2006, 6:57 PM
will this work
to make a lathe variable speed could a box be wired up like the ones with a on off switch like sears sells here goes
could a box be made electrical box where you plug your mini lathe into the outlet part that has a dimmer switch wired to it with a heavy duty cord to plug in then put in on fastest speed using the dimmer switch as a variable speed control
thanks

Steven DeMars
11-11-2006, 7:11 PM
This will not work . . . it is the wrong type of motor . . . You will burn motor and it is possible "to burn shop down" . . . .

Bernie Weishapl
11-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Nope that is a accident waiting to happen. As Steven saidn your shop going up in flames. There is no cheap way to make a variable speed lathe.

CORY FETZER
11-11-2006, 10:13 PM
thanks guys thats why i thought i would run it by you guys before i tried any stupid ideas

Bill Boehme
11-11-2006, 10:57 PM
Probably the only thing that might keep the motor from becoming burned toast is that the dimmer control would become burned toast first -- thereby acting as a very expensive high-speed fuse to save the motor. Don't ask me how I learned this important fact about 42 years ago.

Bill

Ernie Kuhn
11-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Cory,
Some time ago, I came across a posting or article (don't remember where) about adapting a variable speed tread mill motor to a minilathe. Someone had quite a few "take-offs" for sale and a wiring diagram was included. If anyone else here saw the posting or article, please jump in.
Ernie