PDA

View Full Version : Is this plane salvagable?

Wendell Wilkerson
10-28-2003, 5:59 PM
I bought this Stanley #8c a couple years ago off Ebay (not one of my better purchases :( ). I am just getting around to cleaning it up. The toe has an area that is so pitted that pretty much no amount lapping is going to remove it. Before I waste too much time on this plane, I wanted some opinions on whether y'all think this plane worth saving.

Wendell

Ace Karner
10-28-2003, 7:08 PM
There is a product, it's name escapes me, that is a metal filler used to repair metal dies. It is machineable, and is hard as metal.

I got the can thay I used several years ago at a welding supply shop on Forest Lane in Garland, Just a little east of Shilo Road.

Don't know how it will look but you should be able to lap the sole flat and have a very usable plane.

Jim DeLaney
10-28-2003, 7:31 PM
There's plenty of smooth metal both in front of, and behind, the pitting to make it pretty much a non issue. Other than the ugly appearance, the plane should work quite well. Just wax the sole well, and get to planing.

BTW, if you haven't used a #8 before, you're going to find out it can be a bit tiring. The plane is heavy, and that 2-5/8" cutter takes a fair amount of muscle to push. I have two #8's, but don't use them nearly as much as my 6's and 7's.

Michael Stadulis
10-28-2003, 8:11 PM
I bought this Stanley #8c a couple years ago off Ebay (not one of my better purchases :( ). I am just getting around to cleaning it up. The toe has an area that is so pitted that pretty much no amount lapping is going to remove it. Before I waste too much time on this plane, I wanted some opinions on whether y'all think this plane worth saving.

Wendell

Hi Wendell. Looks like the mouth is in great shape which is the really critical part. Imagine this....if that pitted area was an actual hole...the plane would still work as it has lots of iron all around. On the other hand, it the pitting was in front of the mouth, the thing wouldn't work since it wouldn't compress the wood as the blade sheared fibers. Not the prettiest bottom .........but I'll bet you that it'll work fine.

Mike

Bruce Page
10-28-2003, 8:37 PM
There is a product, it's name escapes me, that is a metal filler used to repair metal dies. It is machineable, and is hard as metal.

Ace, are you thinking of Devcon filler?

Ace Karner
10-28-2003, 9:54 PM
Bruce that doesn't sound right, however it may do the job probably more than one company makes the stuff.

Tom Rosati
10-30-2003, 11:17 PM
Bruce that doesn't sound right, however it may do the job probably more than one company makes the stuff.

Ace, perhaps it is JB Weld you're trying to remember.

I am with others, the pitting is in a less important area. The mouth and parameter of the sole is what counts.

Ace Karner
10-31-2003, 8:01 AM
No, i've been thinking about it and I think it is called Metalmate