PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Island Finally Finished!

Jon Farley
11-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Last evening I finally moved this kitchen island out of my shop and into a customer's kitchen. It took me longer than intended, so it was an extra good feeling to get it installed. There were a lot of "firsts" for me in this project, some of which were: dovetailed drawer sides, butcher block top, using an HVLP gun with Target USL coating, installing Blum 170 degree hinges and Blum Tandem undermount drawer slides, not to mention dealing with an awkwardly shaped 300 lb. granite top:eek: .

Here are some more details. Entire island is done with raised panel contruction consisting of maple rails and stiles and MDF for the panels. Work area is hard maple and eating area/bar is 'blue pearl' granite that perfectly matches the exsiting counters. Though I do not consider myself an expert in design, I designed this myself based on the wants/needs of the customer. They are extremely pleased with it, as am I.

Thanks for looking.

Jason Tuinstra
11-11-2006, 4:01 PM
Jon, it turned out very nice. The butcher block top turned out great. I'm sure this will get a lot of use.

Jim Becker
11-11-2006, 4:51 PM
Great job, Job!

Larry Fox
11-11-2006, 6:39 PM
wow - very nice work Jan.

Jerry Olexa
11-11-2006, 9:29 PM
Good work, Jon...Looks good!!

Corey Hallagan
11-11-2006, 9:50 PM
That's awesome work! Nice job.