PDA

View Full Version : D-Link Router question....

Dennis Peacock
11-11-2006, 10:02 AM
I got a D-Link router that is also wireless. It works great as long as it stays busy....if my machine sits for a while? I loose all connectivity to the internet. Without the router in the connection loop, I stay on the wire full time and without interruption.

Any ideas what the deal is with this thing? It's a brand new D-Link DI-524 Wireless G router.:confused: :confused:

Chuck Wintle
11-11-2006, 4:46 PM
A dropped connection could be caused by interference from a cordless 2.4Ghz telephone or other electrical appliance.

Dennis Peacock
11-11-2006, 5:50 PM
Well, Since I'm working the day job from home today, I've been online since 8AM and punched in to work. It's dropping at the router at about 4 hour intervals. No cordless phones in the area and my PC is only a 1.3GHz machine sitting about 2 feet away from the router. I have the router above the top of the PC on a separate shelf and is about 18" higher than the top of the PC.

I'm still wondering why I get dropped connections at around the 4 hour interval? Never happened until I put this router in place.:confused:

Chuck Wintle
11-11-2006, 6:13 PM
Which revision of the DI-524 do you have? It should be Rev. E which is the latest one. One thing you might try is to go into the router and check all the settings.

Dennis Peacock
11-11-2006, 8:29 PM
Which revision of the DI-524 do you have? It should be Rev. E which is the latest one. One thing you might try is to go into the router and check all the settings.

An interesting note here....when it "hangs"? You can't get into the router via the web browser...says that it's not found. This unit is about 1 year old as my dad gave it to me last year and haven't saw a need for it until now. Took off the shrinkwrap and hooked it up.:rolleyes:

Chuck Wintle
11-11-2006, 8:33 PM
It may need a firmware update if is one with a lower revision letter. i checked on the d-link website and it shows some updates that "improve performance"

Art Mulder
11-11-2006, 9:30 PM
It's dropping at the router at about 4 hour intervals. No cordless phones in the area and my PC is only a 1.3GHz machine sitting about 2 feet away from the router. I have the router above the top of the PC on a separate shelf and is about 18" higher than the top of the PC.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but why are you using the wireless if you're only about 2 feet from the router? Is this a work laptop that travels with you?

Does it drop the connection if you are on a cat-5 cable hookup to the router?

But in all seriousness, I'm with Charles. If you can't get into the web administration form of the router (especially if not even from a wired connnection) then it seems like a firmware bug to me.

I don't have a D-link, I have a Linksys, but it is never really idle for long periods. Since it is a router/firewall, it managed my DSL connection for me. So it regularly is talking to my upstream provider keeping my connection live.

best,
...art
YOu could always write yourself a short script in perl or whatnot and run it in the background: while 1==1 {sleep 5 minutes; ping google} That'll keep your connection live... :-)

Dennis Peacock
11-11-2006, 11:46 PM
Art,

I have my home pc hard wired to the back of the router and my work laptop computer is wireless. It doesn't matter if it's idle or heavily under use. After about 4 hours time, it drops the connection. A power cycle of the router fixes the issue for another 4 hours...then it happens again.

I may just take it out of the loop and not use my work laptop at all while home until I can get me a router that will work with more stability.

Wayne Watling
11-11-2006, 11:55 PM
Hi Dennis,

Check the D-Link website (http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=316&sec=0#firmware) for the latest firmware update and post back if you still have an issue after updating the firmware. Be sure to identify the correct firmware revision for your model router.

Wayne

ps. One other thing, interference can be caused by many devices that may not be obvious like baby monitors for instance..

Dennis Peacock
11-13-2006, 7:16 PM
Thanks Wayne. I downloaded and applied the 3.23 firmware just now. We'll see if it will stay connected now. Thank you.

Hi Dennis,

Check the D-Link website (http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=316&sec=0#firmware) for the latest firmware update and post back if you still have an issue after updating the firmware. Be sure to identify the correct firmware revision for your model router.

Wayne

ps. One other thing, interference can be caused by many devices that may not be obvious like baby monitors for instance..

Loy Hawes
11-14-2006, 10:29 PM
If you are still having problems this might help. Great website.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,17246301

Dennis Peacock
11-15-2006, 9:03 AM
Funny you mention that Loy.....because I'm still having issues even after applying the latest firmware. :mad:

Matt Meiser
11-15-2006, 9:25 AM
I have the opposite problem. Mine will stay connected for weeks. But as soon as i get heavy traffic--copying a bunch of files or using iTunes with the music located on a remote computer I lose the connection. In my case disabling and reenabling the network connection in XP restores the connection so I think the problem is more on the network card side (D-Link wireless PCI card) than on the router side. Latest firmware for both and drivers for the card didn't help.

skip coyne
11-15-2006, 9:28 AM
have you called their tech svc people ?