PDA

View Full Version : Brazing Timberwolf blades

Steve Sawyer
11-10-2006, 4:57 PM
I read with great interest the thread here on brazing bandsaw blades.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34558&highlight=brazing

I was wondering if anyone has any experience brazing Timberwolf blades? They describe them as "silicon steel", but I have no idea whether this would affect their suitability to the silver brazing process described here.

I'm contemplating the purchase of a bandsaw with an odd blade length (99 1/2"), and everyone speaks very highly of the Timberwolf blades. I'm thinking of just buying the 105" blades, cutting them to the shorter length and brazing them back together.

Any experience or advice appreciated.

--Steve--

Dick Strauss
11-10-2006, 5:59 PM
Steve,
I think Suffolk Machinery (Timberwolf) will make them in custom sizes at no extra charge. According to their pricing chart, you'd just pay the 102" price with none of the hassle of brazing. They will also give you 4 blades for the price of 3 if you haven't ordered from them before. The 4 blades can be any size/width with mixing and matching allowed. Their sales people are excellent and only try to sell you what you need. They actually told me not to buy a more expensive bi-tetal M2 blade because it wouldn't do any better for cutting green wood. I can't offer higher praise for company integrity and quality of product

Here is their link:

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/silicon_steel_pricing.asp

Good luck,
Dick

jonathan snyder
11-10-2006, 7:40 PM
I agree with you Dick, I just bought some timberwolf blades for my first bandsaw. Great blades and even better customer service!!! I delt with a fellow named Art, talked to him several times, he was most helpful and did not mind answering some dumb questions!!

I believe they will make blades any size you want, you just pay the price of the next size larger blade.

Jonathan

Pete Bradley
11-10-2006, 7:50 PM
You don't have to braze your own. Any band saw shop will make them to length. The most important thing is that the shop does a very accurate job with continuous tooth geometry.

I buy the silicon steel "Timberwolf" bands from Constitution Saw in South Windsor, CT. No web site, but the number is 860-289-7696 or 800-444-8041. The guy there has an encyclopedic knowledge of band saw blades.

Pete

Jim Becker
11-10-2006, 8:48 PM
Suffolk (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com) will make them any length you need...and they are currently on sale...buy 5 for 20% off.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
11-10-2006, 11:07 PM
Woodworkers Supply (as well as other retailers) sell kits for doing the job yourself. You can use a butane torch for the job as it doesn't take much heat to silver solder such thin material. I have soldered dozens of blades over the years and never had a weld break.

Steve Sawyer
11-11-2006, 9:02 AM
Thank you, Gentlemen...

Suffolk Machinery looks to be a great resource. Extensive selection and super pricing. A set of 5 for this machine will only set me back about $70 with the current deal.

Excellent!

Now, I just need to figger out what assortment of blades to get to "cover all the bases"...

Jim Becker
11-11-2006, 4:55 PM
Steve, Suffolk is the manufacturer/importer of the blade stock...the "horse's mouth", as it were. Talk to them about what you want to actually do and they will recommend the best blade assortment to meet those needs. They will also know what you need next time you call...they actually keep very good records in that respect.