PDA

View Full Version : Lie Nielsen - Bronze or Iron?

Rob Nolan
11-10-2006, 2:11 PM
I'm in the market for a LN No4 but I can't make up my mind on the Bronze or the Iron. Is the Bronze worth the extra $$$?

Which would you get ... and why?

Thanks!

Horst Hohoff
11-10-2006, 3:18 PM
Hi Rob,
I own a #4 in bronze. Bronze is heavier than iron, this gives the plane some more heft. I think it is also said, that bronze glides easier on wood; on the other hand it is softer than iron. But the main reason I bought it is looks.
IMO an iron plane is no match for a bronze one in this respect. But this is for evereyone to decide for himself, if he wants to pay the extra money.
I don't know if Tom L-N reads this forum, but if he would make a #5 1/2 in bronze, I'd be the first to buy one.

Ken Bryant
11-10-2006, 6:37 PM
I have a number of LN planes, both iron and bronze. I live in a very wet place, and have an unheated shop. If I forget and leave any iron plane (LN or not) with any flat face (side or sole) touching any surface (bench, board), for as much as a weekend, rust sets in. The bronze planes don't rust.

Not a decisive reason -- the rust can be managed -- but anytime I had the choice, I'd buy the bronze plane. Certainly for those of us living in the rainforest, the difference is worth the money.

Corvin Alstot
11-10-2006, 8:38 PM
I like the appearance of the bronze better than the iron. My LN 4 1/2 has
more mass but is also a little softer (which probably does not impact
performance either way IMHO). I do not have rust as an issue, but the
bronze will scratch easier. For the most part this is really an aesthetic
issue than anything else. But I am curious what others think.

http://xs208.xs.to/xs208/06456/IMG_2901.JPG.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs208&d=06456&f=IMG_2901.JPG)

Eddie Darby
11-11-2006, 9:34 AM
I find that if I hit something in the wood that is going to leave a scratch, then it will scratch both the Bronze and the Iron bodied plane. Yes one is more durable than the other, but both can't stand-up to good old silica! The Bronze is in my opinion worth it in a smoother plane.

Think of scratches as a work in progress towards a corrugated plane bottom! Who knows maybe one day those scratches will be valuable.

Rob Nolan
11-13-2006, 9:31 AM
Thank you for your opinions. I think I'll go with the Bronze and see how I like it. I have the LN low angle block plane which is Iron and it's holding up well also... but I've not had it very long.

Thanks Again!

Tyler Howell
11-13-2006, 9:57 AM
Rob'
"Holding up:confused: :confused: " Your G, G, Grand children will be using those many years from now.
Bronze103 and #4 with York are very fine machines. Pride of the fleet.:cool:

Rob Nolan
11-13-2006, 10:30 AM
Tyler ... I was talking about it not having even a hint of rust yet ... my shop is in my basement which is probably drier than most but it's still a basement. I know they are very fine tools and will last a few life times ... with proper care of course. :)

I hope my G, G grandchildren will be interested in using such tools! :D

Andrew Homan
11-13-2006, 10:37 AM
not having even a hint of rust yet ...

In the spring I acquired the LN low-angle jack, which is iron. My shop is not heated, and the plane was kept in a drawer at the time. It did not take long for small specks of rust to appear on the body of the plane. This was remedied by using the abrasive handblocks and a plane sock, and now I am a lot more vigilant about wiping it down after use. I also have some bronze LN planes and appreciate the low maintenance!
-Andy

Tyler Howell
11-13-2006, 10:43 AM
I use the LV/LN socks for the real special uses, works great.
Good luck with them GG Gran kids.;)

Tyler ... I was talking about it not having even a hint of rust yet ... my shop is in my basement which is probably drier than most but it's still a basement. I know they are very fine tools and will last a few life times ... with proper care of course. :)

I hope my G, G grandchildren will be interested in using such tools! :D