PDA

View Full Version : Kern Lasers

Patrick Dillon
11-10-2006, 2:05 PM
Does anyone have experience with this laser? I've had an Epilog which I have been very happy with but was looking for something a little more
industrial. Thanks

Bruce Volden
11-10-2006, 3:08 PM
Patrick,

I have no experience but have visited the company! Top shelf in all they do!
'Course the price of their systems reflect that. I spent the better part of an afternoon visiting the staff and observing different systems, I even brought along a couple of my files to "try". I left very impressed and vowing to move up to the big league some day. I know there is at least one member of SMC who has the bragging rights to owning one, I believe he is from Wisconsin. Perhaps he will chime in??!!

Bruce

Brian Huff
11-10-2006, 3:29 PM
I am gearing up to purchase a Kern. Spent the day with Gerry and his staff and I was very impressed. I feel the quality in the Kern Lasers is top notch.

The reason I don't have Kern yet is I am preparing my shop. I have removed 20 tons :eek: of copper, stainless, aluminum and steel. Now, I am starting to enclose a section of the shop 20' x 40' for the laser shop. By spring I hope to order my Kern!:)

Brian

Patrick Dillon
11-10-2006, 3:52 PM
I am very interested in their dual purpose machines that can also cut metal. I was always under the impression that the wavelength of a co2
laser was not right for metal. Were you able to witness their machine cutting metal? I know their machines are high end and perhaps out of my
budget but I am seriously considering something in the 100 or 200 watt range. Thanks

Brian Huff
11-10-2006, 4:05 PM
Patrick-

I was not able to witness a Kern cutting metal but I did see a laser that was being built for cutting metal and the metal table insert that is needed for a metal cutting laser. You can contact Kern to visit there factory and I am sure they will have a metal cutting laser to show you. I am unable to remember the thickness of the metal you can cut but you can visit Kern Laser website for this information.

PM me if you need the website address, I have it on a different computer or any search engine will direct you to Kern Electonics and Lasers.

Thanks!
Brian

Dave Jones
11-10-2006, 4:51 PM
In some research I did I found out that certain metals, like aluminum, are considered more reflective than other metals to a laser and can be more difficult to cut because of that. The following is a post I made on another forum a couple of months ago during a discussion about cutting metal:

From what I've been able to find on the web it seems that ND:YAG lasers of 50W and up are used for cutting thin stainless steel in very intricate patterns.

From what I've read 1000W of CO2 can cut about 5/16" mild steel and 2500W can cut 3/4". It sounded like a 400W YAG can cut about the same as a 1000W CO2, but at a slower pace. The YAG puts out a very powerful beam in a pulse, so a 400W YAG is pulsing at something like 10,000W in very short pulses.

One thing I read said YAG lasers were better at finer detail in thin metals, but with thicker metals it was like firing a shotgun. Not so clean. YAG also doesn't do plastics and other non-metalics very well. But it's better on reflective metals than CO2 because of it's shorter wavelength.

I am not an expert on industrial lasers, so all of this is based on info I've found on the web, or posts I've seen on a couple of other forums. So take this info with a grain of salt.

Robert Alexander
11-10-2006, 7:38 PM
I would like to add my 2 cents worth about lasers and metal cutting. I have been to the Kern laser site many times and have been impressed with their systems, but like it says in their metal cuttting section on their web site " Oxygen assist through the high pressure nozzel is needed to initiate the cut and obtain a clean edge with MINIMAL SLAG".
So you will still have issues with slag removal on metal parts. Plus you are limited to certain thickness of metal. No more than 1/16 of an inch for mild steel, and 1/32 of an inch for stainless. Another option to think about for cutting steel is a cnc plasma cutter. Even the smaller systems (50 Amp) will cut 1/8" steel, aluminum or stainless about 80 inches per minute. And if fine cut tips are used and you have a water table just below the metal you can have a very clean cut with minimal slag. And it would cost less than $20,000. Just do a seach on the internet for plasma cutters. I have been running plasma cutters for the last 14 years and each year they get better cutting and cost per hour is less than any other metal cutting system.

Dave Jones
11-10-2006, 9:53 PM
Another consideration for metal cutting is abrasive waterjet. It isn't cheap, but it can cut extremely fine lines. It's becoming the standard method for a lot of industrial metal cutting where precision is required.

Patrick Dillon
11-11-2006, 9:05 AM
I would like to thank everyone for their responses. I looked at Plasma cutters (plasma cam, torchmate, etc.) and that is how I originally got
interested in Lasers. I have been in the Metal fabrication business for
many years and thought it might be nice to have a dual purpose laser
for the few times I need to cut thin metals. I have been to the last 2 awards shows in Charlotte but Kern lasers wern't present. I would really
like to see one in operation or speak to someone who has one. I think
they are located in Minn. and I live in Charleston,SC so that is rather
difficult. If anyone has first hand experience with their lasers please chime in. Again thanks for everyone's responses.

Keven Hattenburg
11-13-2006, 12:46 PM
Geneva Capital has a 52" 100watts HSE with metal cutting option
available.
Contact information on their website
www.gogenevacapital.com
You should be able to make a great deal
You can also contact me Via e-mail