PDA

View Full Version : Router/shaper?

Nathan Hoffman
10-28-2003, 1:17 PM
I am looking at and buying/building a table and purchasing a new router to be permanenetly installed therein, and using my current router for handwork. What are the advantages/disadvantages of this versus a light duty shaper such as Grizzly's G1035 or G0510? Alonong with that, how do you compare a universal say 1 1/2 HP motor to an industrial with the same HP? Thanks for your help.

Steve Jenkins
10-28-2003, 2:47 PM
The shaper vs router table question is one that is asked on a regular basis. If you go through the archives you will probably find lots of opinions. the short answer to the universal vs induction motor is that a universal motor will produce 1-1/2 hp for a VERY short time just prior to smoking and a 1-1/2 hp induction will do it all day long. Steve

Dennis McDonaugh
10-28-2003, 2:57 PM
Both tools can have their place, but I'd rather have a 3 1/2 hp router than a 1 1/2 hp shaper. It has nothing to do with initial cost because you are probably going to spend the same for both after you buy the router and the table.

Shaper bits cost a lot more than a router bit with the same profile. The shaper usually runs at a slower speed (7-10K vs 10-22K rpm) than a router which gives a rougher cut with small diameter bits. You probably want a power feeder with a shaper because it can be more dangerous to feed large bits in a shaper.

Steve Hepditch
10-29-2003, 3:03 AM
Nathan,
I'm asking myself the same question these days. Searching the archives will turn up a load of opinions, and even some real information. Like you, I've looked at the cost of a high-horse router (I like the milwaukee, but the PC 7518 is real nice, and is compatible with just about every accessory there is) vs. a shaper. You see the cheaper shapers with around 1 1/2 hp and that would put you less than a new router and time/materials to build a table (or even more to buy a table). What to get? You can get collets for shaper tables that will accept 1/2 router bits, that certainly makes it tempting for me.

As much fun as it would be to make a new router table, I like the idea of having everything done and delivered for the same or less money. As far as usability goes - hard to say, since I've never had a shaper table to compare to my current router table. I have personally discarded the idea of buying a router table, simply because there's not one I've seen that has all the features I can built into a shop-made version. That said, there's no shaper table I've seen in my price range that had a lot of add-ons, either.

In the end, I'll probably end up making a router table instead of getting a shaper - it just seems more versatile in a small, hobby shop. But if you get a shaper, please post back so I can hear how you like it and see if it's meeting all your needs - I might still change my mind...again.

Steve

Von Bickley
10-29-2003, 10:54 AM
Nathan,

For my particuliar needs, the big router in a router table takes care of me. I use mine for stiles & rails, round overs, dados, and decorative edges. You can also take the router out of the table and use it free-hand.

If I was building a lot of raise panel doors, I would definitely look at the shaper.

I have 3 routers in my shop and I'm using all 3 on my present project. You can't have too many clamps or routers.