PDA

View Full Version : new 'shop' decision and new focus in my woodworking

Ned Bulken
11-10-2006, 8:58 AM
Lori and I had a long chat, and we're gearing up to move w/in a year or so. I"ve decided not to invest in my shop at this point. That means my tools are staying in storage until we move. I miss my shop time, though, so I've come to a decision. With the very wet fall we've had here in central NY, I've decided I'm going to look for what I call a 'hunter's special' camper; an older travel trailer, smaller and usually pretty 'run down'. Not to go camping in, I'm looking for a temporary weather proof scrollsaw haven. I figure I can 'gut' an older camper of the musty old couch/bed and all that, have enough floor space for a scrollsaw, drill press, planer and some hand tools. for not a lot of cash, saving my money for my real shop at the new venue (someday).

A friend of ours has a 2 stall garage, and I may periodically borrow one stall for tablesaw duty, but otherwise, I'm going to focus on just scrolling until I move.

David Wilson
11-10-2006, 9:02 AM
Sounds like a plan, but you should check with local authoritys. Some places don't let you park a camper for extended periods of time.

Ned Bulken
11-10-2006, 9:25 AM
I live out in the sticks, won't be an issue. neighbor has a popup in their driveway year round (not set up, just sitting there)

Art Mulder
11-10-2006, 10:05 AM
we're gearing up to move w/in a year or so. I"ve decided not to invest in my shop at this point. That means my tools are staying in storage until we move.
I'm going to focus on just scrolling until I move.
It's the "or so" that would worry me, I've seen several people who've mentioned how "just for a while" somehow seemed to turn into a whole lot of years before they'd noticed. So, I'm glad you're still trying to find a way to spend some time on your hobby.

The nice thing about scrolling is it doesn't take much space, isn't that noisy, and isn't even that messy. You could easily do this in a corner of the basement without much fuss. Or in the back of the garage. (I don't know what kind of a house you have.)

Is a junker trailer really cheaper than going to Home Depot (or equivalent) and buying a shed kit? Since you live in the sticks and all...

best,
...art

Jim Becker
11-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Art does make a good point...a small shed would likely be more comfortable and also recoup cost when you do sell the property. If the cost of the "portable" shop comes even close to a shed...go for the shed.

Matt Meiser
11-10-2006, 10:37 AM
Yeah, what Jim said. With a shed kit, you'll get something back when you sell, whereas you might even have to pay to get rid of the trailer. Or you can move the shed to your new house--I've seen them loaded up on the back of flat bed tow trucks more than once. We moved one from my parents house to our old house but disassembled it to do so.

Charles McKinley
11-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Or even a used enclosed utility trailer you could use as part of the move. It would save you from gutting it and would have a sturdy floor. The floor is often the weak point of travel trailers and mobile homes. Another cheap option if you have somreone near you that sells them is a used tractor trailer van preferably a refrigerated unit as it is insulated. you can get these as cheap as $300, 8'wX 9'6"h X 25-54' l.

Just some thoughts.

Ned Bulken
11-10-2006, 8:32 PM
It's the "or so" that would worry me, I've seen several people who've mentioned how "just for a while" somehow seemed to turn into a whole lot of years before they'd noticed. So, I'm glad you're still trying to find a way to spend some time on your hobby.

The nice thing about scrolling is it doesn't take much space, isn't that noisy, and isn't even that messy. You could easily do this in a corner of the basement without much fuss. Or in the back of the garage. (I don't know what kind of a house you have.)

Is a junker trailer really cheaper than going to Home Depot (or equivalent) and buying a shed kit? Since you live in the sticks and all...

best,
...art
art, well, I've got plans for a small barn/large shed, weather and time are the limiting factor. If I can find a reasonably weathertight camper, I just have to find a spot to park it for the winter/spring.

I've been doing the 'or so' for awhile, but the LOML and are set on moving by next summer. My job will keep me here until at least april, (I can request a transfer to another area of the country after 1 year, which is up in March , but April is when work really started at the site I help manage). She's actually the one who mentioned moving (This time), and I'm really ready to move on, have been for awhile.

I figure the camper would allow me to get a roof with heat that is portable. If I refit it slightly I may even keep it as the startup shop at the new Chez at the landing zone. Back it in, level it out, run the extension cord and voila ; Shop.

The current house is stuffed to the rafters with the family, and no 'utility' space to speak of that could accomodate even the minimally invasive scrollsaw, which creates a fair amount of dust.

Jim & Matt
If i get the shed from the borg, I'll have to heat/insulate/light it. The camper would 'hopefully' do all three in one step.

Matt,
interesting point about disassembling a shed. I was/am considering that if I do build my own.

Chuck,
I work in the trucking industry. old semi-road worthy semi's are plentiful. insulated reefer, interesting thought. given our postage stamp sized lot, as well as the 'how to' get it in the driveway bit. I'm sure for the right price, I can find one, and figure out the logistics.

THanks guys, lots to think about!

Chuck Wood
11-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Brother Ned....

How about renting a mini storage unit? That way you keep all your tools together, and work when you want! You can get a size to suit your needs. And all you have to do is run a lead for power!
Just a thought!:)

Ned Bulken
11-11-2006, 4:27 PM
Brother Ned....

How about renting a mini storage unit? That way you keep all your tools together, and work when you want! You can get a size to suit your needs. And all you have to do is run a lead for power!
Just a thought!:)

a Pod, hmmm. I saw a bunch of those today.

Chuck Wood
11-11-2006, 11:47 PM
Brother Ned!
What's your lodge number? I belong to lodge number 741 Ooltewah,TN. We had a fish fry today. Raising money for school assistance program. We donate money to local elementary schools for children who's families can't afford money for there school lunches. Also we donate schools supplies!
Makes you feel good inside!

Chuck Saunders
11-12-2006, 10:50 PM
The easiest way to get a semi trailer in place is the bet just about any driver $20 that they couldn't get the trailer in there.

Ted Miller
11-12-2006, 11:25 PM
Art, Tell me about it, the "or so" turned into 3 years and when the wife came home one day and saw what I did to her dinning room set with my dremmel, we bought a new place pronto, not huge but at least I have the whole two car garage with no cars parking in it to keep my insanity with wood and my tools...

Joe Mioux
11-13-2006, 12:16 AM
Ned:

I believe someone here at SMC works out of portable shed (on skids) with all the immenities.

the way I see it, you can buy a used camper, gut it, spend money and time getting it set up or spend money on a shed, a generator OR really long and heavy duty extension cord and operate out of that. Add Kerosene or propane heater heater and you are set.

When you are finished with the camper, it will have no value. With a fixed up portable shed, you will have an asset that could go with you or stay and be sold.

Joe

Ned Bulken
11-13-2006, 6:15 PM
OK guys, you 'win'.
I'm going to go shed hunting, though if I find a really cheap hunter's special, I may just jump on it.
We already have a small shed on site, and I would really like to get my 'bigger' (compared to what I'm settling for) shop built. if I can find a 'decent' small shed.

If, however I find a 'decent (road worthy and not too musty)' small camper, I may just spring for it. Who says a 'gutted' camper has to stay that way. I could wind up with not only a shop for this winter and spring, but also a 'new' camper after the fact, after a little more work.

George Summers
11-13-2006, 9:50 PM
Just curious. Where is your anticipated new location?

George

Ned Bulken
11-21-2006, 10:44 PM
I was chatting with one of my drivers today. He was gloating about a tractor he scored not too long ago. I'm no mechanic, but he sure was happy about a vintage '53 'Popper' John Deere in very nice condition. I congratulated him and said 'hey if you ever hear about a 'hunter's special' trailer for sale, let me know, I'm in the market for one.'

I said so just in passing, but don't you know he comes right back with 'Hey, I think I can get you one for free if it is still available.'

I won't let him get away with that totally, but he said he'd keep an ear out whether or not that was still available, and he lives fairly close by, and would even help haul it up to my house. SO, now I have to clear a landing zone, and hope that the LOML will be 'accepting' of the instant yard art that I'm scheming to get.
I haven't seen it yet, but I'm betting on old and pretty well used up as a camper. It seems some hunters had been using it as a camp for the past 6 or so years, but brought in a new one this past year, and Joe had the honor of removing it from his buddy's back forty for him (using the aforementioned tractor). If the buddy hasn't razed it, and it was still available, I may get my shop for free (tank of gas for Joe's truck), delivered to the house!