PDA

View Full Version : York show

Michael Handrinos
11-10-2006, 8:53 AM
Is anyone going to the woodworking show this weekend in York PA? I'm heading up there with a buddy who is just getting started too. Maybe see ya there?

Mike

Stealth gloat. Jointer comes today at 3.:D :D :D

Jim Becker
11-10-2006, 8:59 AM
Alas, I just can't do it this weekend...as much as I'd like to. An old friend/coworker is going and it would have been nice to hook up, too.

Rob Bodenschatz
11-10-2006, 5:44 PM
Just got back. Don't mean to put a damper on it for you but it was not a very good show. If you went to Ft. Washington last year & are expecting to see something new, you'll be disappointed. I was hoping to see the new Jet slow grinder but it wasn't there. In fact, there was NO Jet or Powermatic there. Delta had a distributer there but it was a small selection of tools. No Unisaw. Dewalt was also there but that was pretty much it from the big boys.

It always fun looking at WW stuff but don't get your hopes too high. That'll be my last WoodWorks show until I hear that they've improved it.

You know what, I just re-read that you & your buddy are just starting out. If that's the case, go. You'll probably enjoy it more than I did. One thing I would recommend checking out the Lee Valley stuff. They let you test drive the planes. Fine Tool Journal has some Lie Neilson's that you can try as well. Very sweet. Definitely spend some time watching Frank Klausz and some of the turners. There are some really talented guys there. The only thing I bought was the CoolChem Cyanopoxy System. You'll see his demo. Pretty convincing and I was in a buying mood.

I guess I'll back off what I originally said by saying that I didn't enjoy the show but I'm sure others will. Have fun!

Wes Bischel
11-10-2006, 8:21 PM
Michael,

I was there today. It is a bit on the small side as Rob mentioned. It doesn't take long to walk the floor and decide what you want to see in depth. I went to pick up a specific tool, otherwise, I think I would have been somewhat disappointed for the price of admission. Speaking of which, go to their website and print off the dollar off coupon - if you haven't already.

The demonstrations were well done, but they all seemed to be done at the same time. I wasn't there for more than 1-1/2 hours. I'm sure others could find more to do, but I was ready to go.

FWIW,
Wes