PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
11-10-2006, 5:53 AM
Friday, November 10th, 2006

As we all prepare to begin the weekend, let's remember that Saturday is Veterans Day. If you are a Veteran, Thanks For Your Service. Take the time to say Thanks to any you know or see.

Countdown Clock: 12 days until Thanksgiving. :) 44 days until Christmas. :)

Not much going on around here this weekend. We are hosting all the grand-kids. Actually, it's a good time for me to get some stuff done, like get the cutter head out of the X-31. Still trying, although I've not had but an hour or so to try this week. Most of this week was getting the house ready for the upcoming winter and holiday season. Got the lights up and most importantly got the mower deck off and the snow thrower on the JD.

So, what's up with you? Let's hear what you've got going for this weekend. We're not keeping score, so exagerate if you want. :eek: :D

Whatever you're up to make it a good one. And make it safe.

Karl

Steve Ash
11-10-2006, 6:31 AM
Today we are going to organize a area in our basement to put our new corn burner furnace. Which will spill into tomorrow getting it, and all the components brought down also. I figured that since I grow corn at $2.00 per bushel that my expected heating costs of $600.00 per year using the corn I already own but could sell, should outweigh my current costs of propane at $2200.00-$2400.00. At that savings I will recover the cost of the new furnace quite quickly.

Robert Mickley
11-10-2006, 6:46 AM
Moer work on the second wall unit for my sister. This ones in three sections a center section for the tv and cabinets and bookshelves for either side. Which should have been started weeks ago. ;)

Steve, your going ot love that corn burner. My nephew put one in 3 or 4 years ago. It amazes me that little fire makes enough heat to keep his old poorly insulated farmhouse so warm.

Cut some firewood, and we have a field that needs trimmed around. and help couse since theirs still about 20 acres of corn to shell

Bob Childress
11-10-2006, 7:05 AM
Fellows cutting down the neighbor's maple trees yesterday asked if I wanted any (free), so now I've got to sort out a truckload of maple--some for fire wood and some for WW. :D

Keep putting finishing coats on a small office table, remove the old wall oven unit to get ready for new one delivered Monday (I hope). Home Owners Association Board meeting Sunday PM. Busy busy.

Tyler Howell
11-10-2006, 7:08 AM
Hi Karl,
Headed North. Final "walk through" on the new house.
A little creeker visit on the side.
Have a safe one.

TJH

Fred Voorhees
11-10-2006, 8:06 AM
Good morning Karl. Well, with being off today (Fri) for observation of Veterans Day, I have an extra 24 hours to get into trouble around here at the abode (especially since the wifey is off to the Atlantic City area for a deal involving her job). Will be applying a finish to the current shop project of a pirates chest today and will be starting on some simulated metal strapping that will be applied to the chest afterwards. Need to be removing the trailer hitch electronic wiring from the pick up and will be taking out the tool box in the bed and also the Duraliner bed liner in preparation for taking the truck in for collision repairs after being rear ended a month and a half ago by some immigrants. Will be performing some of the last leaf blowing excercises today or tomorrow and that is a great thing since it will allow me to move on to other "Autumn" jobs such as cutting and splitting firewood.

Thought that I might try to get some fresh water fishing in sometime this weekend. Still have to call my Brother on that one to see what he is up to. Have some research work to do for a little auto racing project that I was asked to participate in. Oh yeah, Sunday, for the next to last NASCAR Nextel event.....the guys are coming over as they always do and we will be enjoying some deep fried sunfish pieces to go along with the cold from the tap Coors Light.

Terry Hatfield
11-10-2006, 8:11 AM
Looks like I'll be trying to corral some of these leaves and cleaning the garden before Winter. After that I'm heading to the shop to work on the pulpit project.

everyone have a safe and fun weekend!!!!!!!

Terry

Jim Becker
11-10-2006, 9:01 AM
Normal Saturday "running around" with the addition of observing a Karate tournament. (Nastia is taking Karate classes now...finally...) Sunday is likely to be rainy, so...I may just be in the shop!!

Art Mulder
11-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Hopefully I'll be putting up the wood trim on our Family room ceiling, as the last step in our rip-down-replace-part-of-the-ceiling (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45087) project.

This is going to involve my first experience with air tools, as I'm borrowing a friends compressor and finish nailer for this job. (The trim going up is half-inch-thick ash, so otherwise I would have faced pre-drilling and screwing) I'm afraid that I'm going to like this far too much. I can't afford more tools right now!! :eek:

Matt Meiser
11-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Been home sick for the past two days, so I'm not sure I'll get too much done. A lot of daddy-daughter time since my wife is working at a fundraiser for the hospital (her employer) much of the weekend.

Laurie Brown
11-10-2006, 10:27 AM
I'm going to be working on that second cabinet for my kitchen, and trying to figure out how I can buy one of those Delta saws for sale in the sales area of the Forum!! :)

Nancy Laird
11-10-2006, 11:27 AM
TO ALL VETERANS (INCLUDING MY HUSBAND), THANK YOU!!!

Work today, lasering tonight, craft show tomorrow, birthday party tomorrow night, and Sunday I may get to put my feet up and rest and read a little--oh, no--gotta make a trip to Santa Fe to the outlet mall and maybe to go see Rick Levine and how his shop is coming along. Rick, if you're here, heads up for company on Sunday!!

Nancy

Peter Lyon
11-10-2006, 11:36 AM
I think I'm going to finally get started on making xmas gifts for my staff of 12. Last year I was lucky and got away with pens. This year's gift is likely to be a smallish box similar to the one on the most recent cover of WOOD magazine -- that is, if I can figure out a better way to make a long bevel rip cut then the authors suggests. I'm going to experiment making a sled for the planer where the piece is trapped between guide blocks at the appropriate angle.

We'll see if it works..

Lastly, and most importantly, a big shout out to all veterans.

Al Willits
11-10-2006, 11:40 AM
I also say THANKS to all the Vets.
Wife works at the VA Credit union and I get to hear a lot of stories about the Vets, some good and some make me cry....please people, do what ya can for them, whether you agree with our Gov't's policy or not, these people are the reason we're here today.

Wife has today off, so she's off to some craft fair with one of her coven sisters, I took off as it seemed like a good thing to do.

Gonna try and get the nerve to start the sideboard/buffet today or maybe warm up with the Maple coat rack I've been wanting to build.

Sat is go to menards/lowes/whatever day and see what's on sale, and will probably pick up the Bosch Palm router for the inlay work I want to try.

Sunday will be garage day again, if I ain't snow blowing by then.

Have a safe and well weekend all.

Tyler, if you see Rick up north, say hi for me, will ya?

Al

Larry Fox
11-10-2006, 1:30 PM
Spraying more finish for my kitchen project.

Robert Mickley
11-10-2006, 11:32 PM
I'm going to be working on that second cabinet for my kitchen, and trying to figure out how I can buy one of those Delta saws for sale in the sales area of the Forum!! :)

Just write a check!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-11-2006, 12:53 AM
Get a bigger jump on the Christmas presents the wife has volunteered me to make. She added 17 pens to the list recently. Only 6 more to go. Then bottle stoppers, 3 pepper grinders, 3 salt shakers and 2 NE bowls. At least it's all turning related and therefore qualifies as shop time.

Jerry Olexa
11-11-2006, 5:34 AM
Still attacking the leaves. We have many trees and there is a lot. Did get in a couple hrs of shop time today after rain started. Started up the garage heater first time this season.Jointing some walnut to get ready for the blanket chest. Supposed to go out for TexMex sat late after the Fball games. Sunday, lunch w some friends after church and Sunday PM invited to my son's for dinner and watch the Bears. Plan to be in the shop Saturday before the games. Life is good...

Laurie Brown
11-11-2006, 8:19 AM
Just write a check!!!

Hubby gave me the ok to buy! :) Woohoo!

Chris Barton
11-11-2006, 8:44 AM
I'm stuck in Washington, DC for a medical meeting until Wednesday. Missing my tools...

John Miliunas
11-11-2006, 8:49 AM
Going down to Woodcraft Saturday for the Freedom Pens Project day. Hopefully will get another coat or two on my mini-project for the LOML. Really, really need to get some serious time in the weight room. Football on Sunday and spend some time with the family, as oldest daughter and our grand-daughter are heading back to Florida on Monday. :( Hope everyone has a great weekend! :) :cool: