PDA

View Full Version : Putting an old fillister to work.

Jake Darvall
11-10-2006, 1:16 AM
Thought I'd post this here too......like to hear of others experiences with them (other than firewood :D )....anything. Don't hesitate to put me straight should you think somethings BS.

Picked up an old fillister resently ( thought it was plough at first)...

Learning how to use it. Put it to work this morning. Took some photos of some thoughts I had on it.

Lovely old planes. Found mine cut rebates off a thin edge better than the regular stanley 78 type rebate planes. Which I thought was interesting. I attribute that to the position of the depth stop in the fillister....

Sits right between the hands, unlike with the 78, where its on the side.

Don't have that problem that occurs with 78's as much, where just as the depth stop rubs the plane is held up by the depth stop on the right side causing the left side to roll over,,,,which is encouraged by both your hands.

Here's 8 photos. On dial up at the moment. The second set of photos could take a while.

Jake Darvall
11-10-2006, 1:23 AM

Ian Gillis
11-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Interesting stuff, Jake, as always. I've never liked the #78 because of its top-heavy, tippy feel. And unlike your Record version, mine has only one bar supporting the fence.

I'm actually going to the post office today to pick up a fillister plane of more recent vintage than yours. My intent is to use it for panel raising of small doors. Having seen your experiment, I'll have to try it out for rabbeting as well.

Thanks for sharing your research with us !

IG

Dave Ray
11-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Thanks again Jake, really like the way you explain things and the pic's. I learn a lot from you.

Chuck Stanford
11-10-2006, 1:43 PM
I quit using the depth stop on my 78 for the very reason you mention - the slight roll that it encourages knocks the rebate just off square enough to pi$$ you off...

I gauge the rebate and work it to the lines without the stop.

James Mittlefehldt
11-10-2006, 5:10 PM
I had my best luck with a 78 by tacking a straight edge in line with where I wanted to cut a rabbit. It worked fairly well but I did not bother with the depth stop and I don't have a fence with mine.

I once watched a wooden fillester in an antique mall for over a year, it was a big one almost 18 inches long and had an excellent fence and depth stop. When I finally resolved to buy it on my next visit it was sold so I did not get it, and I have not seen a fillester since.

I hope Veritas comes up with something soon, ahem you listening Rob?

Jake Darvall
11-11-2006, 7:01 AM
Ta fellas.

Depth stop in the 78's is a pain alright. But there is one time they work well I think......thats when your running the fence along a wide board...and....you've added a wide face to the fence.....then with your supporting hand you got that leverage uno, to keep the whole plane vertical when the depth stop rubs. ....

Thats the only time it works well I think.....so I've added wider faces to all my fenced planes....and try when possible to orientate my cuts with this in mind....ie. if I've got a choice I'll clamp the board by its edge for instance in the vise to do a rebate so that I can have best stability....if that makes sense.

with my 78 (actually, I think its a WS Birmingham) I just drilled a couple of holes in the fence and screwed on a wooden face. Become quite a well used plane....cause you can joint small boards with it too, in addition to rebating.

Double rods for the fence is a definete improvement though, I agree....though single fences are bearable I think with 78's. But not for 289's though, which screws up the design I reakon.. I got an old 289 going recently.....and the bloody thing performed badly because the fence flexed due to the skewed blade and the side forces it brings.... Had to build a makeshift 2nd fence for it to make it work.

Ian : be interested in seeing how you plan to use that fillister for doors. When you get around to it.