PDA

View Full Version : My first official Hollow Form - pics...

Dennis Peacock
11-10-2006, 1:15 AM
Well, I finally got around to making some time between projects and glue drying to get back on the lathe. This is my very first hollow form. I know it's not perfect, and the inside really needs the bottom finished up, but I decided to just finish it up and get it finished and off the lathe. :rolleyes:

Thanks to Mark Cothren for coming by tonight and helping me figure out how to get the parts inside this form finished on the hollowing since I was having problems getting all the way to the widest part to get it cleaned up. Also, thanks to Mark Cothren for helping me figure out how to reverse mount this thing since it has the funky wave and indentions near the rim as well as ring shake and minor holes that would prevent a vacuum chuck mount.

Luckily, Mark was here when I was finishing up the bottom. It was mounted between the tailstock and the vacuum chuck and I was whittling down the nub between the live center and the bottom of the form when I got a minor catch and LAUNCHED that baby. :eek: :eek: :o

It bounced off of me, then my right arm, I attempted a catch but missed it, it then headed towards Mark and he fumbled it a few times and then he got a good catch of the then flying form. When our hearts slowed down from all the excitement? We called it a "fair catch". :rolleyes: :D

6-3/4" tall by 6-1/2" at the widest part.
Silver Poplar, finished through 320 grit and 4 coats of Watco Natural Oil.

Mike Vickery
11-10-2006, 1:30 AM
Beautiful work. That wood is amazing!

Cecil Arnold
11-10-2006, 1:57 AM
About time you got that hollowing rig up and working. Nice one.

Joash Boyton
11-10-2006, 1:57 AM
Hi, very very nice form, shape, and a good choice of timber. What did you sand the inside to? What will you finish it with? A good idea, to sand the inside, with pieces like this, is to have a long dowel(for a handle), then put a small bolt through a small hole in one end, put a small sanding disk (around 1" wide will do) over the bolt, and then bolt it on with a nut. Before youTurn the lathe on, insert the end with the sanding disk as far into the form as you can go, and then turn the lathe on put it at a medium RPM (around 800-1000 will do) and slowly drag the sanding disk up the side of the wall as the form is circulating. Go through the neccesary grits, and then it is usually easiest to use an oil finish on the inside. I am usually able to start sanding at 180, and go through to 1500. Always aim at the best finish off of your tool.

Sorry if this is a hard to understand idea. And if anybody else has a better idea, I am keen to know as well.

The young turner from down under
Joash

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
11-10-2006, 2:24 AM
Very Very Nice Dennis!

I'm itching to get into them HFs as well, lots on my plate at the momment, but hopefully in the new year.

Insperational! :D

Ed Scolforo
11-10-2006, 6:22 AM
Eee-Haa, Ride 'em cowboy!! That's a beautiful piece of wood. I hope my first HF will be half as nice as that.
Ed

Bob Noles
11-10-2006, 7:28 AM
Dennis,

'bout time you put those new tools to use ;) :D

NICE job!

Fred LeBail
11-10-2006, 7:45 AM
Very nice piece of wood, aslo a very nice form!
It looks as if was turned as a through section of log and that the opening is on the Natural edge of the wood. Am I seeing things right ?

Ted Calver
11-10-2006, 7:51 AM
If thats your first official hollow form, I'm officially liking it! Good job Dennis, and Mark gets double credit for the assist.

Kurt Rosenzweig
11-10-2006, 7:58 AM
Nice form and wood! Great job Dennis! Good hands Mark!

Mark Pruitt
11-10-2006, 8:02 AM
Congrats Dennis! I'm gonna get me one of dem dar Jameson rigs someday. That's a really great job, and nice save!

Tom Sherman
11-10-2006, 9:01 AM
Congrats on a job well done Dennis, Congrats to Mark as well for knowing just when to be there.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-10-2006, 9:09 AM
Touchdown! Nice catch Mark! I'm betting that Dennis pulled about a minus 5 atmospheres vacumn on the room while that thing was in the air! Beautifully done Dennis. Boy..........that piece of wood has so much going on that it's holding a shouting match all by itself!

Jim Becker
11-10-2006, 9:10 AM
Great job, Mr. Peacock!! And it sounds like you had the "right kind" of catch on that one!!! ;)

Travis Stinson
11-10-2006, 9:57 AM
Way to go Dennis! :D
For your 1st, that's sure a knockout.:cool:

Bernie Weishapl
11-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Dennis that is a beauty. Wonderful job for your first.

Oh by the way Mark should be a first or second rounder in next years draft. Nice catch Mark.

Paul Engle
11-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Nice work you guys , great job on the save , great job on the collaboration . ;) :D

Keith Burns
11-10-2006, 11:00 AM
Great job Dennis !!! A winner for sure:) :)

Chris Chavis
11-10-2006, 11:35 AM
It bounced off of me, then my right arm, I attempted a catch but missed it, it then headed towards Mark and he fumbled it a few times and then he got a good catch of the then flying form. When our hearts slowed down from all the excitement? We called it a "fair catch". :rolleyes: :D

Ha - nice catch - good when things work out. Wouldn't have hated to see that one ruined - sure you would have also. The wood is beautiful - great work on it.

Terry Quiram
11-10-2006, 5:57 PM
WA HOO!!!!!! Way to go Dennis. Couldn't you find something a little easier to turn than poplar? Man I hate that stuff. That being said your piece turned out fantastic. Here is how you finish the inside. Use black spray paint..!

Terry

Von Bickley
11-10-2006, 7:51 PM
Dennis,

Great Work...

Gary Herrmann
11-10-2006, 8:20 PM
Nice form Dennis. I'm a bit disappointed you didn't catch it tho. Don't you remember the coaches yelling "alligator hands!" at you?

Altho coming off the lathe, I guess it would be more of a football catch.

Curt Fuller
11-10-2006, 9:31 PM
Man Dennis if the first one looks that good the second one will probably end up in the Smithsonian or something. That's really nice and it's a pretty piece of wood too.

Dennis Peacock
11-11-2006, 1:53 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. It's encouraging to hear that my first one meets with many approvals. :D Now I just need to find a special piece of wood to work on for my next HF!:eek: ;)

John Miliunas
11-11-2006, 8:59 AM
Dang it, Ken beat me to the "touchdown" punch line! :mad: Wonderful work, though I'm getting really sick of these "firsts" looking like something you've been doing for years! :rolleyes: Very nice and that wood is killer! Now, does Mark get to co-sign the piece??? :D :cool:

Mark Cothren
11-13-2006, 7:27 AM
This is a very unique piece of wood - turned by a very "unique" individual...;)

Way to go on the first, Dennis! Now get busy on that next one!!!