PDA

View Full Version : The start of the Christmas Gift Making - pic

Dennis Peacock
11-10-2006, 12:56 AM
Well, the LOML has had be busy making cutting boards for Christmas gifts. So far, I've made 7 of these babies and there's a lot more work to making these things than what I first thought. I've learned that sanding strictly endgrain? Is very time consuming and loves to eat sanding disks.

This cutting board is Maple, Ash, and Walnut. Sanded through 180 grit and the finish is standard Mineral Oil. Measures about 7" by 12" by 1.25" thick.

Thanks for looking.

Jason Tuinstra
11-10-2006, 12:59 AM
Good for you!!! Those will make some great gifts. Man you're organized. Have fun.

Brent Dowell
11-10-2006, 1:18 AM
I've done a few of these and it inspired me to buy a small open end drum sander.

Worked great on the end grain and made some really nice looking boards....

Terry Hatfield
11-10-2006, 8:09 AM
Christmas????????? It's still months until Christmas.....oh wait.....:eek: Now how did all that time slip away again???

The cutting boards look great!!!!!!!! If you were to send me about 6 or 8 I'd be set for my Christmas giving. :D :D :D

t

Dan Gill
11-10-2006, 8:14 AM
I'm glad to see someone else uses ash in cutting boards. Looks Good!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-10-2006, 8:59 AM
Dennis.......How do you chuck those up on a lathe to get them to turn out rectangular?:confused: Do you use a scraper or just a scraping cut with your bowl gouge?:confused: :eek: :D .....................Nice work my friend! I'm sure somebody will be proud to receive those!

Rick de Roque
11-10-2006, 9:12 AM
Dennis,
Looks great. I've been meaning to make some of those end grain cutting boards myself when I get done with this chest of drawers. Hope mine come out 1/2 as good as yours. Good work my friend.

Rick

Blaine Harrison
11-10-2006, 11:20 AM
I am just oiling a couple of the same cutting boards (mine are a 11 x 17, so a bit larger) and realized early on that sanding end grain would be no fun. Thankfully, my LOML let me pick up a new Performax 10-20 just in time to sand these babies.

One suggestion about leveling the faces of these cutting boards. If you use a low angle hand plane, it's a lot faster than using just sandpaper. The next fastest option would be to use a belt sander (be careful, though).

I tried running an end grain cutting board over my jointer a few years ago and that was not pretty. I ended up cutting about 1/4" off one end because of the tear out. DAMHIKT!

Oh, and your cutting board looks very nice, indeed!

Blaine