PDA

View Full Version : 15 year old turner (intro)

Joash Boyton
11-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Hi, my name is Joash Boyton. I recently turned 15 nine days ago, I live in Perth/Australia. I have been turning for the past 4 years. Some of you will know me from other forums....WOW etc: and under other usernames.....Joash, Auzzie turner, JB_15000 etc:

I am completely obsessed with turning, and enjoy it more each day. One good fortune for me, is that I have an almost unlimited timber supply, which helps....heaps. We have 2 work-shops, one of them is mine, and since I have taken woodturning as a full-time proffesion, I now have an almost completely decked out workshop. I am a christian home-schooler, and so that is one of the benifits of home-schooling in that you have a lot more time to do profitable hands-on things.

I sell my work in major art galleries in the city of Perth, and my work has sold, and is now in Germany, Sweden, Britain, and all over Australia. I have recently won an equal first prize for 2 boxes (turned) that I entered in to the WA wood show.

I now have a website,There you can see a lot of my work.

I have also been interviewed on my woodturning: HERE (http://www.aussiecrafts.com.au/interviews/wood.html)

I have attached one photo, of a sample of my work. It is a large....very large block of Jarrah. Sanded to 2000G, and then finished with shellawax cream.

For those that watch the woodworking channel (http://www.woodworkingchannel.com/), I have been honoured by the channel, in that they have put my link on the front page as the link of the week.

Woodturning is a great thing to be into, and I hope that we see more young people become actively involved in this worthy hobby/proffesion. So if you are another "young" woodturner, I would be interested in hearing from you.

Hope I can be a good user on here, and hope to meet up with some of you,

Regards...Joash:)

Joash Boyton
11-10-2006, 12:08 AM
Thanks Mr. Kuhn for just posting your comment in my guestbook on my website:D

Ken Fitzgerald
11-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Joash...........I visited your website! You are quite a talented turner for a person of any age! I'm sure us old guys just learning to turn will be able to learn a lot from you! Welcome to the Creek!

Joash Boyton
11-10-2006, 1:44 AM
Thank you very much, but I am sure I will learn a lot on here as well.

Thanks,

Joash

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
11-10-2006, 2:25 AM
Hi Joash, Nice to see you here.

Cheers!

Tom Sherman
11-10-2006, 8:55 AM
Welcome to the Creek Joash, you are a very talented young man. I also feel that I should have started turning at an earlier age, but doubt that I could have even cast a shadow on your work. Keep the curlies flying.

Corey Hallagan
11-10-2006, 8:55 AM
Hi Joash. Wlecome to SMC, you are doing some very fine work!

Corey

Jim Becker
11-10-2006, 9:09 AM
Welcome aboard, Joash!

Bernie Weishapl
11-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Welcome Joash to Creek. I visited your website and those are some awesome turnings for your age. I am like Ken one of the older ones and just learning to turn now for a year. I can see from your website I have lot more to learn.

Paul Engle
11-10-2006, 10:19 AM
Welcome aboard Josh, hopefully we are not to old to learn new tricks from you!!!:eek: The Jarrah bowl is superb !!! :D

Paul Engle
11-10-2006, 10:21 AM
:D Learning to spell is of great concern here .....;)

Aaron Koehl
11-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Welcome, I guess it's about time for a Turner Interview, no?

Joash Boyton
11-10-2006, 6:37 PM
Hey, thanks for all these comments, thanks for looking at my website, and for signing my guestbook

Joash

Ben Werner
11-10-2006, 7:22 PM
Welcome to the Creek!!! well you want a "young" turner well you got one!!! ME! well I'm 17 currently and began turning this... feburary I think..... so for not too long.... but I certainly do love it and I am DEFINETLY addicted already :cool::p:D I sure wish I was still homeschooled.... I think I would be in the shop about 23-7 (i gotta have at least an hour sleep:p) You can read more about me if you go to the member interview page...

Cant wait to learn from a more experienced and younger turner, and one that sells his stuff! I sold some of my stuff during the summer bout now that schools started, my turning time has been limited to basicly only a few hours on saterdays :(, (I bet a few of you guys here have noticed that). Maybe you could give me some sales tips :D:D

BTW what type of lathe are you using??

Ben

Joash Boyton
11-11-2006, 5:51 AM
Hi, thanks for all of your comments, sorry for the late reply, I had many emails from turners today.

Ken Fitzgerald :eek: No, I am sure I will learn a lot here!! And I hope I can be a benifit.

Tom Sherman Thanks, it is great to start young, but most expert turners are "retired" anyway. Will keep them shavings flying!!:)

Aaron Koehl Well it is entirely up to you, but yes, I would be very interested.

Ben Werner Hi, thanks, always great to meet new "young" turners. So you in the past did do home-school? I do an average of 2++ hours a day. So where do you sell your stuff? One of the main places I sell is FORM (http://www.form.net.au/public.html), but many other places as well.

I have an MC900, and it has seen just about everything, I have had it for 2 years, and it's done heaps. I am going to upgrade, but am still considering which one. Will look on here for ideas.

And to all the rest of you, thanks for all your comments, will look forward to meeting more of you guys.

Thanks for all your comments, and I hope to be a benifit,

Joash:)

Chris Barton
11-11-2006, 8:50 AM
Nice work Joash and welcome to SMC!

Ben Werner
11-11-2006, 8:50 AM
Ben Werner Hi, thanks, always great to meet new "young" turners. So you in the past did do home-school? I do an average of 2++ hours a day. So where do you sell your stuff? One of the main places I sell is FORM (http://www.form.net.au/public.html), but many other places as well.

I am going to upgrade, but am still considering which one. Will look on here for ideas.
Yeah I used too... But I started the towns public school a few years ago (against my will and before I started turning). When you say 2++ hours you're refering to schooling time, right?

Selling: During the summer I was out in the shop for about 3 hours a day:D:D:D:cool:... so I actually had enough stuff that I could go placces and sell. Well I went to my towns farmers market. Its like a "craft fair" sorta... but more jewlery and clay stuff, but then there is also tons of fruit/vegitable stands... I stood out with my turnings :D:D And actually on a couple of days did pretty well.... for me...

Upgrade! I'm hoping to do that too! I have an old delta rockwell.... at I'm hoping for a mayo:D:D.... or a mustard:o ha ha

Joash Boyton
11-12-2006, 1:49 AM
Hi, no, I do not do 2 hors of school a day, I do an average of 2 hours a day of woodturning:) I am in Grade 10, and going for an academic certificate.

In the holidays, I turn many hours a day, I have nevr sold any work through craft fairs etc: I first tried to sell my work in a gallery in Perth. My first thing I sold was a Marri bowl, it was around 12" wide, and it sold for $225, and went to Germany.

Yes, I am still thinking of what lathe to upgrade to, and am considering having a lathe custom-made.

All the best,

Joash

Jack Lewis
11-12-2006, 5:33 AM
Welcome Joash..

visited your site "very nice" and congratulations on your art works. For me as an old'ster (56) I was roped in while attending a free demo on pen turning. Never touched a woodworking tool before. Its a wonderful hobby, and can be profitable as well. What I appreciate most is the shutting off of negative vibes..."thats a 60's slang son" and pouring all positive vibes into your work. The best stress eliminator.. Anyway your waiting for someone younger to post so this old fart will close and just say welcome again....Jack, Philly,PA

Quote::If we could pull street kids into the shop, trade guns and knives into lathes and woodworking tools, the worls would have more art and less violence!! :)

Stephen Hibbs
11-12-2006, 11:04 AM
Hey Joash, I'm 17 and I've been turning since about january. I have a harbor frieght 12" and I do mostly small things out of juniper branches, which are the most abundant source of wood around here. I only turn for about 4 hours a week, and since soccer starts tomorrow it will be even less soon. That's some really nice stuff you have on your website, congratulations.

Joash Boyton
11-12-2006, 9:09 PM
Hi,great, nice to meet so many "young" turners,

And thanks everybody for your comments,

keep it up:)

Joash