PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Estate Sale Find

Gilbert Vega
11-09-2006, 10:22 PM
I went to an estate sale and bought some items I was hoping to get some info on. I ended up buying a big PC 5202 EHD router (looks like a 7518), a Recored 52 1/2 D and a Record 53 vise and a complete Starrett dial indicator in a very nice red case. I paid $100 for the lot. Any info on the router and the vises?

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/00lightning/tools.jpg

They also had a very nice Rockwell HD shaper, 220 v for sale.

Thanks.

Michael Cody
11-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Cleaned up, the vises would probably go 40-50$ each on Ebay, the router maybe 25-30$ ... the starrett box I don't know but I gotta believe at least 30$.

The vises are most excellent units, they've been discontinued and have good reputations. I would say you got a very good deal, maybe not outstanding but quite gloatable:)

Joe Jensen
11-09-2006, 11:50 PM
Cleaned up, the vises would probably go 40-50$ each on Ebay, the router maybe 25-30$ ... the starrett box I don't know but I gotta believe at least 30$.

The vises are most excellent units, they've been discontinued and have good reputations. I would say you got a very good deal, maybe not outstanding but quite gloatable:)

The Router is the original 3HP router. I think that's the single speed version without the soft start. It was a beast, but I would think it's worth more than $30. It was $300 discounted in the late 80s...joe

Gilbert Vega
11-09-2006, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the info. I thought it may have been a 3 hp router. Just wonder how useful it is without the variable speed?

Joe Jensen
11-10-2006, 12:31 AM
I had one around 1988 or so. Your model number doesn't ring a bell, and unfortunately I've forgotten the model number for the one I had. Back then they had an industrial duty router the 536, and a lighter duty 690 series. When the 3 1/4HP came out it had the same style cast aluminum top as the 536 series. I do remember that back when the 7000 series replaced this one the commercial shops were upset that the new one had much smaller bearings. If you want to sell, let me know...joe

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
11-10-2006, 2:27 AM
Nice vices, clean them up and mount them on a bench, you will get years and years of work out of them! :D

Robert Mickley
11-10-2006, 6:38 AM
I think you did fine for $100. Go price new record vise's.

As for the router. I've never seen the big deal with variable speed. most of the time mine run wide open. Only time it ever slows down is doing raised panels. Don't get me wrong its nice to have, but every router in your shop doesn't have to be variable speed ;)

adam quinn
11-10-2006, 7:48 AM
Thanks for the info. I thought it may have been a 3 hp router. Just wonder how useful it is without the variable speed?

You could always use a variac. It is like a variable resistor (the volume control on your sterio at least the old ones) only for AC. It consists of a coil with a variable center tap.

Adam

John Bush
11-10-2006, 8:40 AM
The large record vice is close to $100 new. Fun haul.

Larry Conely
11-10-2006, 8:50 AM
The Record vices are great items. Check out the undercut threads. Expensive to manufacture, they lock up much more securely than acme threads like everyone else uses. I also love the quick release feature that is in no way compromised because of the threads.

Larry

Greg Salata
11-10-2006, 9:36 AM
Great score......................you will love the vises!

Gilbert Vega
11-10-2006, 9:52 AM
As for the router. I've never seen the big deal with variable speed. most of the time mine run wide open. Only time it ever slows down is doing raised panels. Don't get me wrong its nice to have, but every router in your shop doesn't have to be variable speed ;)

You're right. I normally run my 7518 at full speed unless I'm doing raised panels.

Gilbert Vega
11-10-2006, 7:21 PM
Does anyone know of a perfect color match for the Record Vise Blue? Thanks.

Jerry Olexa
11-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Ya did good!!!

Russ Massery
11-11-2006, 6:02 AM
There newer stuff uses Rust-o-liem Royal blue. If that's any help. Nice haul!

Gilbert Vega
11-12-2006, 1:04 AM
There newer stuff uses Rust-o-liem Royal blue. If that's any help. Nice haul!

Thanks, I'll go find some tomorrow.

Frank Fusco
11-12-2006, 7:41 AM
I think you did fine for $100. Go price new record vise's.

What did they do in the olden days? You know PVS. (Hint: pre-variable speed)
Guess they just kept them on a shelf to look at. :rolleyes:
Does this discussion belong in the Neanderthal forum? ;)

Robert Mickley
11-12-2006, 8:23 AM
Does this discussion belong in the Neanderthal forum? ;)

Only if you cut the cord off of the router and install a crank to turn it by hand :D:D :D