PDA

View Full Version : Making use of fallen tree branches

Larry Robinson
11-09-2006, 10:16 PM
We had a storm in our area that left a lot of branches on the ground. I have saved several of them with a diameter of 2 to 5 inches. I believe that most of the wood is white ash. I would like to turn them into lamps and candle holders etc.

How long should I wait before I can turn them and how do I best keep them from spliting?

Better to leave them outdoors or indoors?

Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Ernie Kuhn
11-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Larry,
I had some 1" to 2" dia tree trimmings from the sycamore in our yard. Coated the ends with green wood sealer till I was ready to use them.
A couple of them, I turned immediately (green) between centers to make a couple of practise toadstools, centering on the pith or close to it. Soon as I finished turning, wiped them down with BLO. They did not crack. The BLO probably soaked in so they didn't dry out too quickly.
Ernie

Jonathon Spafford
11-09-2006, 11:12 PM
Yeah... try mushrooms they are fun. I think that when mushrooms crack a little bit it makes 'em look better. Also, I saw someone do a really cool box out of a branch. They left all the bark on the side and just hollowed it out. Natural edge/decorative goblets would also be cool! Natural edge confetti lamps or natural edge candle sticks are really nice looking. So many options! With all of these a little bit of cracking won't hurt anything and will even add a little character!

Larry Robinson
11-10-2006, 8:56 PM
Ernie
Thanks, but not sure what BLO is. I am new to this turning thing. I also would like to be able to stain some of the turnings when done. Not sure if the "BLO" would interfere with staining.

Larry

Jonathon Spafford
11-10-2006, 9:02 PM
Hey... BLO: that is just an acronym for boiled linseed oil. It is a nice finish and I use it on my stuff. Not very high shine, but I like it that way. If you wanted to stain a piece I would stain it before applying oil!

Ernie Kuhn
11-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Larry,
What Jonathon said re: BLO. Here is a pic of some ornamental Japanese Plum branch trimmings, into mushrooms. A fun exercise. The pith was not centered within the branch and I really wanted a "natural" rim. Put them in the chuck. If you can turn between centers, and center on the pith, looks nicer. These were turned green and soaked in Boiled Linseed Oil, wiped dry. After sitting overnight, buffed with Beal system.
Ernie

Bill Kay
11-11-2006, 7:47 AM
Hi,

I make ornimental bird houses from the branches I find. Either green or seasoned seems to work fine. I finish with lacquer for those that will be inside and spar or poly for those that hang outside.

Frank Fusco
11-11-2006, 9:42 AM
FWIW, ash is not the most enjoyable wood for turning. Too fibrous, like hickory. Great wood(s) for other uses but not turning IMHO.

Ernie Kuhn
11-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Bill,
Nice looking birdhouse. What is size, generally? I'm trying some for tree ornaments for family and friends this year but am sure yours is considerably larger.
Ernie

Jim Ketron
11-11-2006, 11:33 PM
Well I personaly think Ash is a great wood to turn!
Turns nice and finishes great as well!
You probably will have some checking problems if you plan to leave the pith in.
Here is a few Ash turnings of mine

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/AshNEBowl.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/CurlyAshBowlsm.jpg

Andy Hoyt
11-11-2006, 11:42 PM
I disagree Frank.

Here's a lousy pic of an older turning I've done.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e318/AndyHoyt944/TRU%20Permanent/tbh01ash5.jpg

Travis Stinson
11-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Another vote for Ash. Can have some wonderful curl. ;)

Mark Cothren
11-11-2006, 11:52 PM
I like Ash for turning, too...

Ben Werner
11-12-2006, 12:34 AM
the only thing i know is to seal them up. cant tell ya how long to wait....

'nother vote for ash, can have som interesting grain... though it can be a beast to get to a smooth surface... lots of sanding in my experience... good practice wood though...

somethin I did out of ash, the pith is running verticly through the bottom: http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h34/benknobi89/Ash/185-8549_IMG.jpg

Stephen Hibbs
11-12-2006, 1:12 AM
I do almost all my turning with branches in that range since that's about all i can get in a city without a chainsaw. I make spinning tops, which are pretty similar to those mushrooms, pencil holders, cups, and small bowls. I use juniper, which doesn't crack a whole lot, and I generally do seal it if I intend to leave a piece lying around for a while. I just use some latex spray paint and spray it on thick at the ends. Branches are good practice for experimenting with forms.

Larry Robinson
11-13-2006, 12:27 AM
Thanks to all. I have read every message with great interest. I guess I have learned that I am as green as the wood I am looking to turn.